Fuel tanks?

problemchild

Fuel tanks?

Post by problemchild »

Please excuse my ignorance, but are fuel cells required for solo competition with formula classes?
I road-raced for years in Canadian FV, FF, F2000 and never used a cell. It has been required for several years now in Canada, so I have a collection of perfectly good tanks. It is a shame that they are just sitting in my attic. I have a steel tank from the original Shirley MacLane FV (Lynx) and two aluminum tanks from 80s Crossle FFs. Are they usable for Solo or any non-SCCA racing organizations?
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
DanRemmers

Re: Fuel tanks?

Post by DanRemmers »

I'm fairly sure that a fuel cell is not required for Solo Vees. (If I'm wrong, then my car is not legal.)

For other classes, you'll have to check the Solo rule book, which often references the road racing GCR for formula cars.
77fmod

Post by 77fmod »

Greg,
They are not required in SOLO however, I have been thinking of replacing my tank but I bet anything you would have is way too big. I am running a Caracal-C now...

Cheers,

Johnny B.
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

Greg, those tanks are legal for Solo Vees. I doubt they would be legal for a CM or most BM cars. Those cars have to be GCR legal.
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
qreshadow

Post by qreshadow »

There is no requirement for GCR legal fuel cells in ANY Solo Modified vehicle. As with some other GCR requirements, there is a specific exception to the GCR written in the SR concerning fuel cells. Check Modified Section 18.A.7.1., Safety Rules.
Last edited by qreshadow on December 10th, 2008, 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
vreihen

Post by vreihen »

How about the born-on date for harnesses? I've heard multiple opinions on this, but nothing definitive in the Solo Rulebook saying whether or not harness belts must have current date tags like in GCR.....
Rich_G

Post by Rich_G »

Hi Greg,

I PM'd you. Do you have anything that will fit in the 'wedge' under a seat in the 2-4 gal range?

Pics & $price?

Thanks,
Rich
FM92
South Carolina Region
shirleymac

Post by shirleymac »

Hi Greg,

I'm the current owner of the original Shirley MacLane FV, do you have any pictures of the original steel fuel cell? And what price would you'd like for it?

Thanks
Tony Siembieda
Veefan

Post by Veefan »

If you are looking for a small Aluminum fuel cell for a Solo Vee check out a Jaz cell. I think Jegs and a few other places sell them for around $165.00. They are small part wedge shape, rock solid and will fit most Vees.

http://www.jazproducts.com/aluminum_fuel_cells.html

4 GALLON ALUMINUM FUEL CELL 210-504-03
* 5051 Aluminum Tig welded with mounting tabs
* Two AN-8 outlets, one AN-8 return, & one AN-8 vent fitting
* Safety foam filled with flush mount cap assembly
* Measures 12" x 10" x 8"

[ external image ]
qreshadow

Post by qreshadow »

vreihen wrote:How about the born-on date for harnesses? I've heard multiple opinions on this, but nothing definitive in the Solo Rulebook saying whether or not harness belts must have current date tags like in GCR.....
After doing some research on your question, I too have found the SR lacking when dealing with the GCR 9.3.18 requirement for date maximums for belts and harnesses as well as the requirement for arm restraints. This ommission affects A, B, C, and F Modified vehicles. If there is something in the SR that deals with these issues, it is deeply hidden and there is a definite need for a clarification that these items are not required in Solo Modified vehicles. Sometimes things slip through the cracks.

The only thing I can offer as a answer, though not official, is that logic should prevail. Rhetorically, there is no such requirement for any other type of car using belts/harnesses in Solo to be regulated by these requirements, why should a Mod vehicle have to comply? That might not be a completely successful arguement, but at the moment, it is all that we can hang our collective hats on.

The MAC chairman has been appraised of the issue and I would expect to see some form of clarification in the near future along with a text addidtion to the SR for 2010.
vreihen

Post by vreihen »

qreshadow wrote:If there is something in the SR that deals with these issues, it is deeply hidden and there is a definite need for a clarification that these items are not required in Solo Modified vehicles.
I read all of the usual sections where this would be covered, and used the search feature on the .PDF file for the words "seatbelt" , "seat belt" , "harness" , "expire" , and "expiration" to find all references to these key words. If it's in there, they have pretty good camoflage netting over it!
qreshadow wrote:The only thing I can offer as a answer, though not official, is that logic should prevail.
Logic?!?!? I thought that we were talking about the SCCA??? :lol:
qreshadow wrote:The MAC chairman has been appraised of the issue and I would expect to see some form of clarification in the near future along with a text addidtion to the SR for 2010.
I was going to congratulate you on the chairmanship, but decided to check out the committee rosters and see that you managed to make a clean escape last year.

While I was logging onto the SCCA web site to look up the above, I remembered that I won the SCCA "Inside Line" monthly trivia contest last week. Knowing my luck, the prize will probably wind up being another box with 500 weekend membership forms in it..... :roll:
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

My apologies gentlemen. I have pics and measurements... just have had not a spare 10 mins of time to find and post it or respond to inquiries. I will as soon as I can. Cheers!
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
qreshadow

Post by qreshadow »

"Logic?!?!? I thought that we were talking about the SCCA??? :lol:"

Yeah, I know :roll: :lol: .

"I was going to congratulate you on the chairmanship, but decided to check out the committee rosters and see that you managed to make a clean escape last year."

Yep, I "retired" at the end of '07. I was on the MAC for 7+ years and it was time for me to go. The target on my back was just getting too big :lol: and the SEB had other projects for me to become involved with anyway :roll: .
vreihen

Post by vreihen »

qreshadow wrote:Yep, I "retired" at the end of '07. I was on the MAC for 7+ years and it was time for me to go. The target on my back was just getting too big :lol: and the SEB had other projects for me to become involved with anyway :roll: .
If you find yourself bored in your "retirement" from the MAC, you can always come back and take over New York Region's Solo program again! :lol: Don't know if I can keep the chair's seat warm for another year after this past season. Rumor has it that it's a great springboard to bigger and better things, including the SCCA Hall of Fame.

Speaking of the HoF, I just noticed that there's an entry for it on Wikipedia, and your bio is still a broken link waiting to be written.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCCA_Hall_of_Fame