Too quiet too long on the Solo Forum....

snookwheel

Too quiet too long on the Solo Forum....

Post by snookwheel »

So, here's a couple videos from 12-6!
http://blip.tv/file/1548066

Same course, in car video:
http://blip.tv/file/1547224/

Nice long course at Brooksville Airport. There was a Lotus 61J running also. A VERY fast machine!

I was having some braking issues which ended up being some corrosion in the master cylinderfor the rear. Easy fix.

Scot
Last edited by snookwheel on December 7th, 2008, 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mityfast

Re: Too quiet too long on the Solo Forum....

Post by mityfast »

Always great to watch your vids.
I have been under snow for a month already! Its going to be a long winter here, however i go out to the garage each night and have a look at all my cars to keep my spirits up.
Thanks for putting some life in the solo forum.

Paul
snookwheel

Post by snookwheel »

Thanks Paul. I would be happy to store your Huron down here during the winter as to make sure that nothing suffers from lack of use during the cold months. I promise to send pictures of it being driven all winter! :lol:

Scott
DanRemmers

Post by DanRemmers »

This weekend, my car had a light coating of snow. Maybe one day I'll have a garage for the race car. *sigh*
snookwheel

Post by snookwheel »

Ok, here's the link to a live webcam on Clearwater beach. http://www.beachtourism.com/pier.htm

Not a snow flake in sight! Only thing missing is a Huron cruising the street! I know...... not nice. :lol:
mityfast

Post by mityfast »

We are heading down south in January to look for a winter home....your real estate prices are great buy right now.
We are checking out Florida first then shoot across to Arizona to check out the real estate there ( better tax advantages in Arizona for Canadians)
The Huron may become an American resident!

Paul
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

Paul:

In your travels across Florida to Arizona, if you happen to have any interest in the Gulf Breeze area of Florida, we have a realtor (racer) on this site. If there is any interest, send me an e-mail and I will give you his name and contact info.

Dietmar
Quixote racing
turbospl311

Post by turbospl311 »

Very Cool Videos.

Seeing the video brings up a question about roll bar height. Does the roll bar seem low?

Like the look but have always had questions about the proper roll bar height.

Thanks Don
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

The roll bar is too low. It shouldn't pass tech inspection.
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
snookwheel

Post by snookwheel »

turbospl311 wrote:Seeing the video brings up a question about roll bar height. Does the roll bar seem low?
I have a small fiberglass seat that can be adjusted to allow a very upright forward position or the more traditional lay back Vee position. Or, removed entirely. In the upright forward position, such as you see in the video, I would not pass the 'broom stick' test.

Paul, where in Florida will you be looking?
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

You not only don't pass the broom stick test, you don't meet the more leinient solo rules. The top of your helmet needs to be 3" below the top of the hoop.
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
snookwheel

Post by snookwheel »

I used 'freeze frame' to take a close look at the video and you guys are dead on. My helmet top is even with the top of the roll bar. Not a good thing should the unimaginable happen!

It is time to play around with my seating to see if I can get to where I need to be. Now it makes sense how the prior owner had the seat set. There is a fair bit of room to adjust things.
mityfast

Post by mityfast »

"Paul, where in Florida will you be looking?"

Not anywhere specific...probably check out all the regular Canadian snowbird spots and i will spend a day at Vero Beach...gotta check in and see Hayes Harris...he always has something interesting to sell me...last time i ended up with a pristine Lotus Europa Special!

We prefer to be away from the rat race tourist spots...somewhere quiet and less populated.....near an autocross venue?
vreihen

Post by vreihen »

mityfast wrote:"We prefer to be away from the rat race tourist spots...somewhere quiet and less populated.....near an autocross venue?
Boy, do I have the spot for you!!! Beautiful, lovely, LEHIGH ACRES. Located 15 miles inland from the beaches of Fort Myers and the threat of a hurricane tidal surge, Lehigh Acres is the home of the South Florida Mosquito Control District's airport, a former Army base, and a whole lot of alligators that are extremely willing to help out with solving that little problem with the neighbor's yappy poodle in their back yard. They also have a Perkins restaurant, and plenty of golfing opportunities. Property values are brought down even more by a group of miscreants http://gulfcoastautocrossers.com/ who go screaching around Buckingham Airfield on weekends, where they claim to have a mile-long autox course on military concrete that they encourage people to bicycle because it takes too long to walk. Don't take my word for it. Tune into any TV station at 4:00 AM and watch Erik Estrada hawking prime pieces of swamp land in beautiful, lovely, Lehigh Acres. The kind of place that only an autocrosser could love. :lol:

Sorry, but I crack up every time that I see Erik Estrada's infomercial for this place. I ran the SCCA ProSolo there in 2000 and 2001, and the town (pre-infomercial development) seemed like a nice, uncongested place to live. "Chef" Dave Hutter and the guys at GCAC put on some great events, and I'd recommend looking within driving distance of Fort Myers if you're seriously relocating to Florida so that you can attend their autox events.....
snookwheel

Post by snookwheel »

I dug up the actual regulation regarding roll bars for Solo Modified.

Appendex c:

2. The top of the roll bar shall not be below the top of the driver’s
helmet when the driver is in normal driving position, and shall
not be more than six inches behind the driver. It is strongly
suggested that the roll bar extend at least three inches above
the driver’s helmet. In case of two driver cars, both drivers
must be within the roll bar height requirement, however only
one driver must be within six inches of the roll bar. In a closed
car equipped with a roll bar/cage, it must be as close as possible
to the interior top of the car.