Dual Carbs on a 1600 (again)

snookwheel

Dual Carbs on a 1600 (again)

Post by snookwheel »

I am seriously thinking about taking the plunge. I still have yet to hear about anyone who has done it and their thoughts about the increase in power. I can't do the whole 1915 upgrade right now, but sure would like some more power coming out of corners. Anyone have any thoughts about the conversion?

I know this was posted a few months ago. But at that time no one had actually done it.

Thanks, Scott
MBillings

Re: Dual Carbs on a 1600 (again)

Post by MBillings »

Scott,

I did the 1915 "thing". I found a noticable improvement in low end torque and overall acceleration. I'd like to hear from someone who did the dual carb "thing". From the looks of the Nationals results (and assuming Bob made a compression change to 10:1 as well as changing to dual carb.s), the result is about the same...dual carb. vs. 1915 cc's.

Anyone with another opinion?

Mike
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

As far as I know, no one has built a dual carb engine. Bob's car is really about a 1740cc (the bore is 0.5mm smaller than a 1776) engine with a single carb.

I stated before that my engine builder starts laughing at the memtion of the dual carb 1600. He says that it will have poor low end and will see a small increase in power over 6000 rpm. And that is with the bump in compression, the larger valves and an approrpriate cam. He thinks the existing 1600 would be better for autocross. All of the other vee people I've talked to agree.
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
snookwheel

Post by snookwheel »

A local guy that has recently picked up a Solo Vee (Lynx) just had his converted to dual Weber 40 carbs. He had the conversion done at the same time as an engine 'freshen.' The car is not put back together yet, but it should be soon. I guess that will be the real test.

I was looking at my rear frame set up and it looks like duals may not even fit without some modifications to some upper frame bars. A non issue if the Lynx does not show some strong improvement.

Scott
DanRemmers

Post by DanRemmers »

snookwheel wrote:A local guy that has recently picked up a Solo Vee (Lynx) just had his converted to dual Weber 40 carbs.
Scott
Is that Carl Metz with the silver Lynx?
snookwheel

Post by snookwheel »

Yes it is! He ended up having to do a fair bit of sorting out after he picked it up. It should be rock solid now.
redvett

Post by redvett »

Hi Dan,

After getting the car back to Florida the vee lasted a grueling 90 seconds of racing before the clutch became unhinged. Seemed it was not fixed as advertised. Turns out that the pressure plate and TO bearing were mismatched. I was told that a vw expert inspected the work when it was put back together. Must have been Stevie Wonder.

Along with everything else there were lots of nuts and bolts missing fron the motor and accessories, the distributor was installed wrong and best of all the cam gear was attached to the cam with phillips head screws. When we discovered that the center main bearing was whiped out it was time to just start from scratch.

Mr. Donohue owes me an adapter for the super trap that came with the car but misteriously he does not return phone calls or emails anymore.

Will keep you posted on how the car does in a few weeks, I also added rack and pinion steering and replaced the abortion that was in the car.

Carl
redvett

Post by redvett »

PS

also the flywheel had to be replaced as it was run loose and the dowl pin holes were wallowed out.
snookwheel

Post by snookwheel »

I am looking forward to seeing you run the new and improved version at the next Autocross. Especially with the dual carb set up!

Nov. in Sebring?

Scott
MBillings

Post by MBillings »

I'm interested in buying a 44 IDF Weber carburetor. Does anyone have one for sale?

Mike
snookwheel

Post by snookwheel »

MBillings wrote:I'm interested in buying a 44 IDF Weber carburetor. Does anyone have one for sale?

Mike
That's another option. Any thoughts about performance gains going from a 40 to a 44?

Scott