It runs!!!!

Lynn

It runs!!!!

Post by Lynn »

Last week we tried and tried to get the new engine to start, but it just wouldn't. We couldn't get the fuel pump to prime and pull fuel up from the tank. Today we tried again and nothing. So we pulled the lines off to see if we could feel any vacuum on the inlet side. Nada. So we tried the long pump rod. Nope. So the new fuel pump was replaced by another new fuel pump. This pump promptly filled the clear filter and then the float bowl. With a few pumps of the throttle, the engine fired right up.

It is a little out of time and running very rich, but rich is good since we needed to break in the new cam. Keeping an eye on the head temp gauge and oil pressure gauge, we ran the engine for about 10 minutes until we decided to let the engine cool a bit. We had fans blowing on the heads and into the scoops. After it cooled, we ran it another 5 or so minutes.

Tomorrow it will get fresh plugs and an oil and filter change. The clutch hydraulics will be bled. Some of the wiring will be redone since there are no longer any gauges in the dash. Well, there is no dash anymore. We will be installing oil pressure and shift lights. Wednesday or Thursday, it will go next door to Tuxedo Park Racing for tuning on the Dynapak chassis dyno.

We are still waiting for the custom rear rotors. Hopefully they will be here this week, because we want to test this weekend. And we have a local event the following Sunday. We will be at the Milwaukee Tour the next weekend if we have to swap the front brakes back to drums. :cry:

Also to be done this week is the fabrication of new training arm mounts and spacers. We swapped the entire transaxle assemby from the Lynx to the "Beach". The Lynx has alway used wheels with two inches less backspacing than we use on the "Beach". So the trailing arm mounts on the axle tubes must be changed. We have come up with a design that will allow the old mount to be retained in case we swap this transaxle back to the Lynx. Once this is done, we will string the car and do the alignment.

The engine that came with the "Beach" when I bought it will be going the Archway Imports soon to be converted to a 1915. The transaxle with also be going in for a rebuild since we know that it has a broken tooth on a spider gear. When they come back, they will be installed in the Lynx. We will rent the Lynx cheaply to local autocrossers, provided they fit in it, in order to try to build interest in Solo Vees in the area. I will probably sell the Lynx sooner or later because after much looking and measuring, we have determined that there is no way I will ever fit in it. We can raise the roll bar, no problem, but we just can't move the pedals forward enough.

Oh, yeah. I now have to go find some stock VW wheels and some tires for transport. The new front disks make the car too wide to get into the built to fit trailer. The trailer door is 63 3/4ths inches wide. With the front disks, the car is now 65 inches wide.
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
snookwheel

Re: It runs!!!!

Post by snookwheel »

Congratulations Lynn. Hope you get everything sorted out by the weekend. How much HP / torque do you think you picked up over the 1600?
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

I really have no idea. I would guess 10 to 15. We won't be able to tell by driving it, either. The transmission in the car now is geared much higher than the one with the broken spider gear.

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
Lt. Dan

Post by Lt. Dan »

Lynn, how tall are you that you can't fit in a Lynx?!?!?!? I'm 6'3", and and just barely fully depress my pedals in my Lynx....
1980 LynxB SoloVee
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

I'm just under 6'1". An I have relatively short legs for my height. I'm not sure just how much of a Lynx this car is. Other Lynx B's seem to be lay down cars this one is and upright car. However, the chassis looks very similar to other Lynx, it is just taller. There is no way to get the pedals far enough forward without cutting the chassis in half and adding several inches to the wheelbase.

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee