First Autocross

mityfast

First Autocross

Post by mityfast »

Ran my first autocross in the Huron FV on sunday. The car was really squirrely doing slides everywhere and my times were poor....could it be that my street tires BFG G force KDW ( 205 55R 15) are too wide and not enough weight is being trasferred to the contact patch???
I slipped into my 1975 MG Midget for a couple of runs and cut 4 seconds off my best Formula Vee time...whats with that?
Captain

Re: First Autocross

Post by Captain »

Possible that the tires are an issue.

What are you running for shocks. I saw a big differance with traction with new shocks, even with the cheap ones. They seem to wear out rather quickly.
jmattox

Post by jmattox »

Not sure if you had an instructor? But, if you did what the instructor said about going slower to go faster makes a BIG difference. Vees are very light and are prone to spinning at the drop of a hat. Next time, go on practice day and work on precision and "entry" and "line" issues.

John
fv42
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

The KDW's are not a good autocross tire even in the street tire classes. They might be a good choice for a wet tire in the street tire classes. Also, running the same size tires front and rear on a car with a lot of rear weight bias will cause massive oversteer. The tires are definitely not too wide. Most of the us on slicks use 7.5" wide tires on and front and 10" wide on the rear. Another thought is that a car as light as a solo vee can't get any heat into a street tire during an autocross run. It is hard enough to get heat into a Hoosier R25 compound slick even on somewhat warm days.
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
DanRemmers

Post by DanRemmers »

It's definitely the compound. Find a pyrometer and you'll see that those tires don't warm up. Try to find some used R25A Hoosiers. A couple years ago I found some for $25 each. A new set is ~$750. In fact, the new compound Hoosiers are R25B.
mityfast

Post by mityfast »

I have had professional autocross driving schools, and advanced autocross school in the last month and my Midget times were very respectable in the class....i agree that the tires are the problem.....i have a few pyrometers but forgot to take one with me as i drove to the course and did not have a lot of room for tools and such...but i agree that the tires did not even begin to heat up and the pavement was really cold....i'll pick up another set of rims and some new Hoosiers.
thanks for the suggestions folks.
Paul
snookwheel

Post by snookwheel »

Hi Mityfast. You have one of the ONLY Vee's out there you can drive to the event in! Tires will really make a difference.
I was running Hoosier R25As and they really warmed up quick. I have the site for a guy who sells used Hoosiers somewhere. I'll dig it up and pm it to you.

Scott

BTW, I do have some Diamond Racing Wheels from my Solo Vee for sale in the classified section.
77fmod

Post by 77fmod »

That would be John Bergett tires. You should be able to find the info with a google search... He's up in Wisconsin..

JGB
mityfast

Post by mityfast »

Thanks for the John Berget lead....found him in google.

Cheers
Paul