oil cooler

snookwheel

Re: oil cooler

Post by snookwheel »

[quote="DanRemmers it's not really needed during the run. There should be enough wind while at speed to keep things cool.[/quote]

That's my thought. Do your run. After finishing, hit the 'misting' switch in the staging area for a minute. It certainly would be a cheap cooling system.

Scott
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

DanRemmers wrote:Yes, R25As. Here in the DC region, the temperature is usually in the 90s in the summer. With the sun beating down, the tires seem to get hotter on the grid than right after a run. I don't have a pyrometer, but my calibrated hand confirms it. ;)
Plus, we do about 1000 runs in a day, so there's lots of rubber laid down on the course, mostly DOT R compound.
My tires are a couple years old, so I used to think that they were too hard to overheat. Then one hot day the car seemed to lose traction, so I just tried the water spray, and it drove better. I don't know if it made me faster, but it was easier to drive.
It's no hotter in DC than it is in St. Louis We are a two driver car and last year we got six runs (three each) in the morning and the same in the after noon. We try to keep the tires as hot as possible. I did see Scott Nardin cooling his tires at Peru a couple years ago, but I've never seen anyone else do it.
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

Based on the concept of "If it doesn't say you can, then you can't", I would say the onboard misters are illegal.

My car gets no air to the heads because the body is wider than the engine. Scoops will be added this year.
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
FM4SOLO

Post by FM4SOLO »

Back to the subject, I have a full flow case (oil pump to oil filter, back to the case) and use a stock cooler with no oil temp problems. If you are using a oil cooler adapter to filter, you should use an in line oil cooler, but head temperatures are the real issue. If you have no aux cooling fans, watch those head temps - they will overheat and be damaged; been there, paid the price.
Charles
vreihen

Post by vreihen »

DanRemmers wrote:With the sun beating down, the tires seem to get hotter on the grid than right after a run.
Did you try checking the tire pressures right before you run? Sitting in the sun will raise them significantly, which may be contributing to your traction problem.

One of our local drivers throws white towels over all four of his tires between runs, to keep the sun from heating them up. Since he's got more national champion jackets from both Canada and Topeka hanging in his closet than I could ever hope to win, I'd say that there's a pretty good reason for doing this.....