Any 1st time Solo Vee AutoX tips?

snookwheel

Any 1st time Solo Vee AutoX tips?

Post by snookwheel »

I've checked every nut and bolt, changed all the fluids, set tire pressure per previous owner specs... and stared at it for hours.

Now.. it's almost time (this coming Sunday) for my first autocross with the Solo Vee. I have done nothing more than drive it slowly up our street once to check the brakes. Absolutely ZERO experience really driving it. Any Solo Vee driving tips tips from you Solo Vee Autocross veterans?

I have run Autocross with more 'traditional' vehicles before. But I am guessing this will be a lot more fun!
Lynn

Re: Any 1st time Solo Vee AutoX tips?

Post by Lynn »

Because you are sitting so low and out in the open, it will feel faster than anything street car. It will out brake and out corner anything you have driven. However, it won't necessarily out accelerate street cars. I have driven my co-driver's semi BSP prepped STi and it easily out accelerates the vee, but you won't know it until you get to the corner.

Launch the vee in second gear. Bring it up to 3000 rpms or so and release the clutch smartly to get some wheel spin. Although my two cars have different gearing, both can be short shifted to third and going to third is rare even on National Tour courses. I do know of two vees which run courses mostly in fourth, though.

Remember that when you turn the steering wheel on these cars, it will react right now. On your first run, pay attention to the first corner. It will be easy to turn inside of the cone. I didn't do that. I turned inside the exit to a long sweeper about half way through the course. And then spun at the next sweeper. :oops:

Strap in tightly. And depending on how you fit in the car and where the bars are, be prepared for some bruises. You'll learn quickly where to put some padding.

Now, the most important advice. HAVE FUN
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
Bbsgarage

Post by Bbsgarage »

Dont forget to sit in it and make brm-brm noises. :lol:

When walking the course, get down to the level you will be at when in the car. Specially at the entrance to the important sections. Its a different view from down there.
vreihen

Post by vreihen »

Other than what has already been said, I'll add that the cones look MUCH taller from the driver's seat of a Vee...and sometimes hurt when you hit them! :shock: Looking ahead is critical, because the "sea of cones" feeling from a fendered car is more like a redwood forest of cones in a Vee. Also, when you're sitting in close proximity of the pavement, you'll find that it feels like you're about to break the sound barrier...but are really only doing 25 MPH. Step on the gas!!! :lol:

On mine, I quickly discovered that the shift linkage wasn't 21st century Audi in terms of shifting ease or precision, and it wasn't until my third event that I dared take a second stab at shifting 3rd gear on the course. Of course, I was running uncontested in the class, and left with the points and trophy for just putting up an on-course run during the day.....
FM4SOLO

Post by FM4SOLO »

On my Lynx, you have to STAND on the brake pedal. I can lock up the fronts, but usually only when braking and turning in at the same time. I second the comment on getting down to the level your head will be at during the course walk. Watch that first maneuver on the first run, it will come at you quickly, I missed my first one because I was going too fast to turn in (I didn't STAND on the brake pedal!) Keep the visor down! These things will pepper you with small stones from the front tires, even at walking speed in the Pit/Grid area. Be ready to show the Tech guy where things are.

Have fun, and if there is no other FM Vee in your region, be ready for lots of attention.
Charles
DanRemmers

Post by DanRemmers »

Yes, manual drum brakes feel very different from power disc brakes. I ran through a couple stop boxes the first year I had mine. Push like you're trying to break the pedal.

Tighten your seatbelts as much as possible while still being able to breathe. Then after the run they will seem loose.

My very first run in my solo vee, I forgot to put the visor down. It's exhilarating to have the wind blow in your face, but once that first rock hits your helmet, you'll double check it every run.

Also with helmets, be sure to bring Rain-X and anti-fog solution if there's a chance of rain or cold. Different visors may need different chemicals. And have some wide painters tape handy to cover the visor if the sun is low.

Don't let the engine idle for very long. You may be required to wait in a long line of cars to start a run. Cut the engine whenever possible. Talk to the person in charge of the grid and tell them your motor is air cooled and you don't want to wait in line for long. Or just grid near the start line if possible.

Check the front track versus the rear track. My rear tires stick out a couple inches more than the fronts, so if I'm in a slalom and the front tire is right next to the cone, the rear will nail it.

Most of all, HAVE FUN.
snookwheel

Post by snookwheel »

A lot of great advice! Thank you. I bet the feeling of speed really comes through sitting so low. The brakes and speed of turning sound like the big potential gotchas. A full face helmet will be used. Pebbles were hitting me even going slow up our street. I got the seat fitting right last night & the belts will be tight. I'll post up how it goes... embarrassing or not!

I have not seen another Solo Vee running here before. Maybe it will start a trend. Thanks again.
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

A local driver and engineer who has had at least two of his A Mods banned by the SCCA gave me the following advice: "If one end or the other isn't unstuck, you aren't trying hard enough." It's true. If the car is cornering like a train on rails, you are going way too slow.

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
snookwheel

Post by snookwheel »

Lynn, the guy I bought this from (Dave Geis, Wichita Ks.) said basically the same thing. He said the hardest part of the learning curve would be learning just how hard you can run through corners. I think it was "Trust the grip" and go!

I feel like a kid on Christmas eve. Sunday can't get here fast enough.

Scott
vreihen

Post by vreihen »

Lynn wrote:A local driver and engineer who has had at least two of his A Mods banned by the SCCA
Andy Whittle???

I third the caution about the brakes. My first run in a Vee was driving a Solo-prepped Autodynamics, and I thought that I was standing on a tie rod and not the brake pedal from the way it didn't stop at the end of the first straightaway! My own Vee has significantly better brakes, but it still requires a great deal of pressure with a foot square on the pedal.....
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

Yes, it was Andy Whittle. He's currently helping build Mike Mahen's new AM.

My Beach really didn't have brakes when I bought it. It had a single circuit system and apparently the cylinder sizes were mismatched. The first time I drove it, I was very happy that there was about two blocks of runoff space. If the brakes require an extreme amount of pressure, try changing the master cylinders.

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Rule of thumb.

A larger master will give you less braking force, but a shorter pedal movement to start the braking effort.
A smaller master will give you more brake force, but will require more pedal motion to start the braking.
The inverse is true on the slaves.

I would assume for solo you would want a 60/40 (front / rear) force ratio. If your wheel slave cylinders are all the same size, you might want to have the rear master cylinder 1 size larger than the front master. Or a bias adjuster kit can be used to match the ratio. (eg. In the rain you are going to want much closer to a 50/50 braking effort. So driver adjustablity is nice to have)
Lt. Dan

Post by Lt. Dan »

Okay, it's Sunday Night!! So, how'd it go?!?!?
1980 LynxB SoloVee
snookwheel

Post by snookwheel »

IT WAS A BLAST!! Everything happens very fast. The guy I bought it from told me the hardest thing would be learning to "trust the grip." He was right. I was able to get in 6 runs. Each time I pushed it harder. It only got a bit squirrely once. So I do have a lot more room to get to the edge. Even so, I was 4th fastest out of 56 cars. Approx. 1.3 seconds out of FTD. First place was a Stalker V6 driven by Dennis Brunton. Kinda like a Lotus SuperSeven clone... but with more HP. Beautiful machine. His family builds them in Bradenton, Fl. Real nice..Maybe someday.:cool: No FM class with the club I ran with this weekend. Different classing. Only two of us in the open wheel race car class. SCCA club run next weekend!

Over all, I was happy with the results. FTD is in the cards, just a bit more seat time. The car is very fun to drive. I should probably have shifted to third much earlier on. In the first slalom, I was real close to the 7.1K rev. limit and as such holding back (paranoid new owner). After the turnaround and during the return stretch slalom I was in third and had plenty of torque. Should have done the first slalom in third as well.

Anyway, I am VERY happy with it. Here's a video of one of the runs. (Listen to the starter.... he's telling me to push it harder :twisted: ). Man do I hate decreasing slalom's at the finish. Lost time there. What an addiction!! :lol:

YouTube - 1st. Solo Vee Autocross at Brooksville

Results PDF: http://wedrivefast.com/srfiles/17Feb08_ ... y_time.pdf
By class: http://wedrivefast.com/srfiles/17Feb08_ ... _class.pdf
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

You could've shifted to third just before turning right at the cone wall after the start gate. And maybe a little more rpm at the start. My co-driver and I will be installing the 1915 in the Beach this week and next week.

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
snookwheel

Post by snookwheel »

Hey Lynn, Good luck with the 1915! You are right on the money with my focus for next week. More aggressive on the start and get some room on the top by shifting sooner. It is hard to look at a course and realize that it CAN be run at a higher speed than you thought possible in the 'world before Vee.'

Next week is a "test and tune" with the Central Fl., SCCA. My goal is to test the grip until I am completely let down! :lol: (photo Opp!! for the spectators)
ultimate42

Post by ultimate42 »

Did Dave put in a short box before he sold i to you? As I recall, when I was getting into fourth, he was still sailing along in second!

I did notice from your video that you found the dreaded understeer these things are famous for!
snookwheel

Post by snookwheel »

I am not sure what the gearing difference between a long and short box is. (just a Nubee). I do know that at 7100 RPM in 2nd, I am at 54 mph. 7100 RPM in third is 88 mph. Dave said 4th is a very long gear. Does that sound like a short or long box??

Yep.... I found the understeer limits on the turn around part of the course. I have to learn to get off the skinny peddle a bit more. One real fun drive though. I'm looking forward to next weekend! Scott