Is this a Beach Forumla V ?

Stinsonsr9b

Is this a Beach Forumla V ?

Post by Stinsonsr9b »

Hello,

My brother and I just acquired a Forumla V race car. Attached is a photo. The data plate on the car is the following,

Competition Comp Inc,
Type FBO
Chassis # 213

Would like to know what year and any other information. It has 1200 VW Engine.

Thanks,
For your help.
John
Attachments
image.jpeg
Stinsonsr9b

Re: Is this a Beach Forumla V ?

Post by Stinsonsr9b »

I made a mistake on the data plate data.

It is the following.

Competition Comp. Inc
Type FVO
Chassis # 213

John
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

I am not an authority- by no means so this is a guess.
The trailing arms look like they would belong to a Beach, but the body is more along the lines of a LeGrand. Go down to the classified section of this forum ( trailering...) and there is a Beach for sale with a picture.

Might I ask what your plans are for this car.

Dietmar
www.quixoteracing.com
Stinsonsr9b

Post by Stinsonsr9b »

The car runs and sounds great. We need to rework the brakes and clutch system. We plan on keeping the car.

John
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

John:

My question was more along the lines of...
Are you planning to ROAD race the car with SVRA or VARA, SCCA, or run Solo's with it?

Dietmar
www.quixoteracing.com
shark32

Post by shark32 »

The serial number would indicate it is a Beach 5C made in 1966-67. It should have a round tube chassis. The earlier cars use square tubes. That is not a 5C body but appears Zink related.

Barry
Stinsonsr9b

Post by Stinsonsr9b »

Hi everyone,
We just got the Beach FV race car 5C #213 today. I just had time to take a few photos today. Will take some more tomorrow. If you look hard enough you can see the number 213. The car is not set up withe a cooling fan. The car has two air scoops for cooling the engine. How effective can be these scoops be? It has a 1200 cc engine and was last raced in a FV race at sometime. With the air scoops I guess the car should run best on a fast race course. We kind of like the air scoop for the carb. If we install a fan we would have to change the engine cover.

John
Attachments
image.jpeg
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

John,
Looks pretty good. Glad you found the proper ID on it. As for the fan, MOST cars of that age are CONVERTED... from a fan to the outside scoops. There are a couple or 3 different sizes of fan housing. I'll bet that one of them will fit inside your existing bodywork after you remove the outer scoops. You might have to do some searching to find the right one. Seems that 'Beach' is still around somewhere in some semblance. Somewhere, I also ran across a 'Beach FV Registry' of sorts. Can't find it right now, but it's out there. Some one should be able to tell you which and where to get one that fits (as well as any of them 'fit').
Ah.. THERE it is :mrgreen:
http://beachracingcars.com/formula-vee/
Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
Grandwazoo

Post by Grandwazoo »

Agreed, it's a Beach 5C frame. We have one. Trailing arm attachment is exactly correct for that car and the serial number is within a couple of ours so they were likely built the same year if not the same month!

The bodywork is totally incorrect so must be from a donor car of some variety. John Rankin currently owns all of the Beach Racing Cars assets and that includes a set of body molds. The car had rounded aluminum sides below the top frame tube and two glass pieces, a nose piece that come all the way back to the firewall and a tail piece that sets above the engine/fan/trans from the firewall back. We put a new set of body work on ours a few years ago 'cause the old glass had been repaired so many times it took a man and a boy to lift it.

Ours still races and has been everywhere from Mosport to Road America, Mid Ohio, Road Atlanta, Palm Beach International and on and on. It was at Roebling Road last weekend for the final vintage race of the 2016 season.

Mike