Myster Vee from 1967? with LOSMITH#67003 LOL, KY on Chassis

jason29307

Myster Vee from 1967? with LOSMITH#67003 LOL, KY on Chassis

Post by jason29307 »

Hi there,
I was wondering if you guys could help me identify this Vee car. These are some pictures of it and the guy in the photo, to me looks like John Ewald, but he was a Southern Cali dragster and photographer.
Anyway, the nose on this one looks like one I have never seen. Do you by chance know anything about it, It has a Kentucky tag on the chassis, that says Losmith # 67003 LOL, KY
Here are the photos. Let me know what you think.. I just am no getting into the VEE racing and doing lots of research. Looking for one I can restore.
Thanks so much'
Jason
Attachments
s-l16002.jpg
s-l16001.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
jason29307

Re: Myster Vee from 1967? with LOSMITH#67003 LOL, KY on Chas

Post by jason29307 »

Here are the chassis picture, rear tire and photo picture..
Attachments
s-l16008.jpg
s-l16007.jpg
s-l16006.jpg
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Jason,
Kinda looks to me like the body tag says "LOURKY." instead of "LOL, KY". You might try sand blasting or wire brushing .. or even SANDING that tag. Perhaps that is the "name" of the car. Looks like a nice ENGRAVED plate - not stamped. Picture looks like mid 60's or so. The number... possibly an SCCA member number? But it looks too high to have been from that time. Mine is 56649 from 1974. Might be that L. O. Smith is the builder's name and maybe that last is LOU, KY .. short for Louisville?

You could contact SCCA HQ in Topeka and see if they can tie that number to someone named Smith.
Never seen one like that myself but if you're looking for something to RACE with (other than autocross) pass on this one. The tubing is not going to be up to SCCA standards of today and there is nothing really there that you could use except for the 2 front wheels (maybe) and the transmission. There are a LOT better deals out there right now than that one. If you don't already know about it, check out this page...
http://sracing.com/ForSale/forsale.htm
There are also several in the classifieds FV section of this forum. http://formulavee.org/viewforum.php?f=9
Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
ajaxsenior

Post by ajaxsenior »

Jason,
Maybe for vintage vee racing you could make this old girl work, but she sure looks like it was an early and weak design that would be flexible and scary to race, with out a lot of frame modifications. Most vintage groups follow the SCCA 1972 GCR rules and/ or the Monoposto spec for all the details you would need to restore this or any vee to be safe and on track again. At min. the roll bar looks too small dia. and would need replaced, also the whole rear engine bay and shock support area looks cut up and would require major work to strengthen that area, it needs rear end leading arms, and a fuel cell, body panels, header system, etc. etc. Hopefully Steve's suggestions will help your search for a reasonably restorable vee. Note, several later raced SCCA vees that were popular designs can be fairly easy to back date to meet your vintage group spec requirements. Good luck, we are here to help!