Lynx B hammerhead nose

TigerBob

Lynx B hammerhead nose

Post by TigerBob »

Does anyone know when the hammerhead nose started replacing the narrow nose on Lynx B's?
brian

Re: Lynx B hammerhead nose

Post by brian »

I think it was made by a guy named Mazarro or something like that. The first one I saw was called a Mazzarro. Later, Lynx had the wide nose and sold spats (rear h-beam fairings) to go with it. At one time it was reputed to be the best set up in the wind tunnel.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

brian wrote:I think it was made by a guy named Mazarro
Probably Mark Mazuro (sp?) from Detroit.
RickyBobby

Post by RickyBobby »

You might want to check with Fred Clark, owner of Lynx/Caracal race cars. 904-234-5603 If anyone knows the history of these cars, it's Fred.
Bill_Bonow

Post by Bill_Bonow »

TigerBob wrote:Does anyone know when the hammerhead nose started replacing the narrow nose on Lynx B's?
Seems like these type historical questions quickly get derailed from the original thread.

IIRC, George Mazuro (Mark's Dad) started making them around '75. About a season or two later, John Mills and posy started making the Lynx version (squared off).

I'd bet the are not monoposto legal
Bill Bonow
" I love Formula Vees, they're delicious!"
TigerBob

Post by TigerBob »

I emailed Fred and he recalls that Harry McDonald ran the first one at the '74 runoffs. I was hoping for '72 for the RMVR cutoff.
Mark_Silverberg

Post by Mark_Silverberg »

While they are not nominally monoposto legal there are several people running that configuration with VSCDA and it has not been an issue so far. There are also several Lynx B high tails being run. I can not speak for what RMVR would allow.
Mark Silverberg
Zink C4
Lynx B
Rickydel

Post by Rickydel »

TigerBob,

The first photo is of a hammerhead nose, probably a lot like yours.
The next two are of the same nose with the "wings" chopped off. The new configuration is for a vintage vee.
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

Good luck!

Ricky del