Vintage Tires

smsazzy

Vintage Tires

Post by smsazzy »

What is everyone using for vintage tires, and how long do they last?

I see Hoosier has a set of treaded vintage tires. I have ordered a set to test. I'm just curious what seems to be the expected life out of these tires.
Stephen Saslow
FV 09 NWR
SR Racing

Re: Vintage Tires

Post by SR Racing »

I think they are getting at least a season out of them. (At least based upon my sales to them.)

Jim
hars550

Post by hars550 »

I use Dunlop and if taken care of I can get 2 seasons.
8 races a season and I rotate them.
smsazzy

Post by smsazzy »

Have you ever run on a set of slicks (Hoosier/Goodyear)? Any idea how much slower the vintage tires are?
Stephen Saslow
FV 09 NWR
Bill_Bonow

Post by Bill_Bonow »

A good source or point of reference is Butch Deer. He has driven on both and can give you solid feedback.

butch_deer@midspring.com
Bill Bonow
" I love Formula Vees, they're delicious!"
BobShedd

Post by BobShedd »

Stephen, I have been running on the Hoosier Vintage tire on my Zink for the last 3 seasons ( my guess is maybe 12 weekends ) and they are probably 1/2 worn ( I'm mid pack )They will outlast the Dunlops, however many ( not all ) feel the Dunlops are slightly quicker. My perception is they are not as good as the Dunlops on a cold spring or fall weekend - they don't seem to come up to temp as well as the Dunlops when the track is cold. Dunlops are about $ 200.00 per set more money ( last I checked ). Overall I like the Hoosiers.

Bob Shedd Vintage Formula Vee
Bill_Bonow

Post by Bill_Bonow »

BobShedd wrote:however many ( not all ) feel the Dunlops are slightly quicker.
I fall into that (not all) catagory. 2:56 at Road America in a Monoposto '68 Zink Z-5 on Hoosiers. Bob, I think that is still a good time 14 years after the fact? :mrgreen:
Bill Bonow
brian

Post by brian »

I understand the size is a bit different from the slicks. What are the dia's?
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
smsazzy

Post by smsazzy »

From Hoosier Website:
120/590-15 (22.6")
135/620-15 (24.1")

ITEM APPROX.APPROX. RECOM. MEASURED SECTION
NUMBER TIRE SIZE PATTERN WIDTH DIA. CIRC. RIM RIM WIDTH MODEL
44405 120/590-15 L 4.8" 22.6" 70.9" 4.5" 4.5" 6.1" VINTAGE T.D.
44408 135/620-15 L 5.6" 24.1" 75.6" 4.5" 4.5" 6.9" VINTAGE T.D.
Stephen Saslow
FV 09 NWR
Mark_Silverberg

Post by Mark_Silverberg »

Bill I believe your 2:56 was in June of 2003 as I recall. Any yes that is still a very good lap. That was on the old style hoosier tires which have since been updated.

Monoposto regulations say the rear tire must be minimum 24 inches diameter. A smaller diameter may be good for 1.5 sec per lap on a track like Roebling Road.

Dunlops if well managed can be made to last for 6+ race weekends. They do not fall off much with time sitting. A race was won last year with tires which were first mounted in 2007.
Mark Silverberg
Zink C4
Lynx B
Bill_Bonow

Post by Bill_Bonow »

Mark,

You are correct, June Sprints 2003. I was thinking one birthday earlier. Been to too many, they run together as you get older. :roll:

I'm hopeful that "managed" doesn't mean one needs to bring 5 sets of wheels per weekend :mrgreen:
Bill Bonow
Mark_Silverberg

I typically have three sets of Dunlops mounted and available when I am running more than three races in a year or have a little extra money to spend.

In a three day weekend I use the "old set" for practice.

I change to tires that are a newer for qualifying and race.

I have one set of tires scrubbed in at full tread in case of rain.

When the old set runs down to the cords I get a new set and move the other sets down the food chain.

For the past two seasons I have run on a single set of tires. They went on the car in the summer of 2009 as my race only tires. - ran two races in 2010 and three races in 2011 and still have quite a bit of tread left. I think I have one or two sessions where I ran the wet reserves but you can easily get 5+ races out of them. Of course if I was a faster driver maybe not so much.
Mark Silverberg
Zink C4
Lynx B
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Mark_Silverberg wrote:...ran two races in 2010 and three races in 2011 and still have quite a bit of tread left...
I THINK I'm beginning to understand how people can get *TWO SEASONS* of racing out of a single set of tires. :mrgreen:
Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
Mark_Silverberg

Yes, but before you are quick to judge on that, our vintage race weekends typically involve 1 hour of track time (three sessions) on Friday. A similar amount on Saturday and about half an hour on Sunday. As I said before about 6 weekends which would be about 15 hours of running time on a set of tires. Does that help?.

My point on two seasons on a single set of tires was that, although I typically have multiple sets, you can still run on a single set and have pretty good tire life and run 5 or more races.

Yes, I would like to run more races but sometimes life brings other priorities.
Mark Silverberg
Zink C4
Lynx B