Old FV race photos

RacerGeek

Old FV race photos

Post by RacerGeek »

While I was Google mapping in Iowa, I came across what looked like a road course. Turned out to be Greenwood Roadway, which is a ghost track in Indianola, Iowa used as a heavy equipment training center now. However, I did find some photos from a USRRC event in July of 1964 which featured a Formula Vee race.

[ external image ]
Lynn Blanchard's Autodynamics

[ external image ]
John Mahler (52, Formcar), Raymond Besasie (71, Autodynamics), Richard Abney, (73, Formcar). The entry list had car 14 listed as a Beach driven by Ed Leaman, but it is clearly a Formcar.

[ external image ]
The start. Looks like some nice elevation changes for Iowa!

[ external image ]
Lynn Blanchard, winner by 3 seconds over Les Behm in a Formcar.
Bob VanDyke
Mark_Silverberg

Re: Old FV race photos

Post by Mark_Silverberg »

These scans were from a some pictures that were given to my father about 4 years ago. He is a charter member of Des Moines Valley Region SCCA as was chief of Timing and Scoring at Greenwood. Consequently old pictures occasionally fall into his posession. He did not attend this race as my mother was about 2 weeks overdue (with me) at that point. As luck would have it I was not born for another four weeks.

Worthless trivia above aside - Greenwood was a very fast track with the FV fastest lap in 1964 being 73 mph. This is with fans, generators and individual exhaust pipes. Don't think there are many people left who drove that track. I know that Fred Clark said he drove karts there but never cars.

The John Mahler listed for this race went on to drive in F5000 and at Indy. there was a tremendous amount of elevation change at Greenwood - probably about 40- 50 feet. On par with Mid America Raceways
Mark Silverberg
Zink C4
Lynx B
RacerGeek

Post by RacerGeek »

Mark,

The entry list also had a Jerry Hansen in a Formcar numbered 44. I assume that is the Jerry Hansen that won numerous SCCA national championships. The timing charts show he only did eight laps but had the 3rd fastest time.
Bob VanDyke
Mark_Silverberg

Post by Mark_Silverberg »

Yes bob my omission. That is the Jerry Hansen and he did drive a FV for a while but liked the big bore cars much better.
Mark Silverberg
Zink C4
Lynx B
ajax

Post by ajax »

Way COOL!!!

Thank you Mark!