Zink prep

BLS

Zink prep

Post by BLS »

I have a Zink, C4 or Z4 maybe, not sure what it is called. It was the last model before the Z12. I think. Manufactured in '75 or '76 I believe. I need to verify when I find the logbook but it is somewhere in that timeframe. It replaced my original purchased from Zink in 1973.

Pictures in this thread: http://www.formulavee.org/interchange/v ... f=2&t=4346

I would like to preserve it as much as possible for vintage racing, myself or a new owner. On the other hand, if I were to build a new car, I *might* want to use the Zink for school and regionals. It's just a thought. I've gone through the GCR trying to understand what is required of an older car. I have the original logbook somewhere. I know I would have to have the safety items such as fire system and fuel cell, and new belts. However, would it also have to comply with the latest roll bar rules? For example, the steering wheel is slightly higher than the steering bulkhead. Must it be modified? If so, does that invalidate it for vintage racing? Another example, the Zink has rear facing roll bar braces while the GCR (I think) calls for forward braces. Do I have to add forward braces? There may be other issues I have not considered.

Anyone that has any idea or thoughts please let me know.

Thanks,
Barry
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation
BobShedd

Re: Zink prep

Post by BobShedd »

Barry, I can't speak for the SCCA but on the Vintage side of your questions - most Vintage organizations will not have a problem with your running the car with the SCCA mandated ( ugly ) roll cages. Vintage groups mostly will be concerned with the car having treader tires, a z-bar and 2 rear shocks, a fan ( and shroud ) with a working generator. Some groups don't require the working generator but VSCDA ( upper midwest ) does and in my opinion why not hook it up if you have to have it. The generator load on the motor is very minor compared to the load of the fan. My $ .02

I'm not sure but I believe SCCA will require the front roll hoop with bars connecting the front and rear roll hoops. I believe they will also require side protection ( kevlar ) in the side bodywork.

Good Luck, Bob Shedd, 1968 Zink C-4
BLS

Post by BLS »

Thanks Bob,

Thy car is original, with the "improved" Zink Z bar, two shocks etc. It looks like it was parked in 1979 on jackstands and left. Which it was. :roll: A fan and shroud shouldn't be a problem although I don't have them at the moment.

Looking at it today, the steering wheel is pretty close. It would only require a small additional hoop to be compliant I think. Adding forward roll bar braces looks easy enough to do.

Something to think about anyway...
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation
Rickydel

Post by Rickydel »

FYI:
Older Zinks, built by Ed Zink & Co. are designated Z5.
The same model cars, but built later by Steve Lathrop & Citation Engineering are designated C4.

Yours would be a C4.
BLS

Post by BLS »

Rickydel, mine was built by Zink, not by Citation. It was probably one of the last of the type. I bought a Zink kit in early '73, destroyed that one, and then bought this chassis from John Gaither when he bought a new Z12 (Z12 I think). All of John's parts went on his new car leaving just the chassis and bodywork, just what I needed. I may have the year wrong but shouldn't be too far off. Also, I did not realize Citaion ever built this type.
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation