1967 home movies FV at VIR

Victoracing

1967 home movies FV at VIR

Post by Victoracing »

Stumbled onto this video from VIR on youtube. If you havent seen it, better than most. Clear, color footage of the FV race 1967-68.

Pylon 256 posted this: VIR 1967-1968 Virginia International Raceway SCCA Races
FV80
Site Admin

Re: 1967 home movies FV at VIR

Post by FV80 »

I did find it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQlouQqh ... 54&index=4.
Tough, but I THINK I saw the Shadowfax in there. That's about the only car that was distinctive enough for me. If I'm correct, then this video would need to be from 1970 or later. According to the history on our FV website (provided by Mike Jackson), Harvey debuted the Shadowfax at VIR - presumably in 1970, although that's not indicated for sure. He drove the Ringwrath in '69 (again - according to MJ's account) and then moved to the Shadowfax.

Can anyone provide any more (or corrected) info? If we can get enough data to make it interesting, I will post a link and some info about it on the FV website.
Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
Victoracing

Post by Victoracing »

Cross-checking the dates on http://www.virhistory.com; you are spot on.
Entry lists (April Nationals) Templeton 1967 Bobsy; 1968 Not listed; 1969 "Homemade" but labeled Ringwraith in caption of Nick England photos; 1970 Shadowfax

Several pics on the VIR site, and links to the video.

Verrrrry interesting.
billinstuart

Post by billinstuart »

for those who don't know who Harvey Templeton is, he fathered the second generation of Formula Vee. Zero roll, aerodynamics, the "think outside the box" generation. The quintessential innovator. He went on to design his own formula ford, which was unconventional, to say the least. A young, talented engineer? you ask..no, I believe he was a flower farmer (Stevan?) who retired and got into racing.

I had the great opportunity to talked with him when he was racing his Ford. Quiet, unassuming, very private. On thing I remember..he wouldn't race in the rain.

Bill
JimR

Post by JimR »

or you could view something a bit more current...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiMGtXLhRkA
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

After looking it over a couple more times, I just can't say for sure that I saw the Shadowfax. The detail just isn't good enough. But it IS quite interesting to see just how close the spectators are. See where the corner workers are standing ?? About 10 feet from the track - in short sleeves - alone - no barrier protection at all. And the cars entered the pits going COUNTER RACE and did a u-turn onto the track (I think that's from the other video by pylon). I did see a car near the end that I think MIGHT be Paul Spruell's Alfa - I sent a message to him. He might recognize something and be able to add some info. With the video camera so much closer to the track than we can get these days, the cars (even FV) seem to be FLYING around the track <VBG>
Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
Grandwazoo

Post by Grandwazoo »

Well, anyone that thinks they can tell one of those FVs is Shadowfax or Ringwraith has much better cognitive powers than I! The video doesnt seem clear enough for any but a very few of the cars. If you try again you should focus on only the all white cars since that's the way Harvey's cars were painted most of the time. I have one pic Harvey sent me that shows Shadowfax with a small bit of color on the nose, but even that was only a partial diagonal stripe.

I only know what Harvey told me when we communicated after I bought Shadowfax many years ago. The photos he sent me were numbered and had a narative that went with them. He was quite clear about having built the car in the winter of 1969 after having built and driven Ringwraith for a year prior. So, unless he was funnin' me for no obvious reason, Shadowfax would not have been in a race at VIR in '67.

Mike Jackson
proud owner and privleged pilot of Harvey Templeton's Shadowfax and Ringwraith

ps - thanks to Mike Kitzmiller for asking me to come to this site and pass along any info that I had.