1967 Formcar

jmac

1967 Formcar

Post by jmac »

I recently picked up my old Formcar that I raced in the late 70's. It's complete but I'm not sure if it's correct. I plan on restoring it and doing some vintage racing. Does anyone have any information on the company or the car.
ajax

Re: 1967 Formcar

Post by ajax »

jmac, the Formcar is a popular vee in vintage for most vintage groups. Where you plan to run will have a lot to do with "correct" So you need to find a vintage group you plan to run with and follow their rules, as no one sactioning group leads vintage racing in the US. Where are you located? The Formcar company is long gone, but plenty of info can be found in several web sites, google search vintage formula vee, etc

I know a number of member of this the board run the Formcar, or have restored them. We have several real nice ones that run in CVAR so possibly asking specific questions, and/or posting some pictures will generate some answers to your questions?
jmac

Post by jmac »

Thanks, I live in Frederick, MD. Not too far from Summit Point. They run one event, I think it's with VRG. It is probably going to be a year or so before I can finish it. I'd like to get the car as close to original as possible. Most of it is there. The gauges have been changed, and the battery box can't be right. It weighs a ton. One question I have is weather or not to use some of the engine parts I have. I have two complete engines minus one head, a couple carbs, one manifold. I'll try to get a photo. I tried one that I scaned from an old picture, but I wouldn't attach.
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Check your PM's
ajax

Post by ajax »

JMAC, Unlike many vintage racing classes, getting a good reliable engine with the kind of HP you can afford is the easiest part of vintage FV! The reason of course is the fairly stable rules since 1964, that allow us to easily backdate one of todays FV engines with cooling tin, fan, stock oil cooler and sometimes a working generator, and go racing. If you raced FV in 70's you know a std VW engine will not work and it must be set up for FV to be at all reliable and produce enough HP to stay with the crowd. If your engines & parts were once FV raced, then a possible course would be send off your bits to one of this sites supporters for them to asses them, do some flow testing on carb, heads & manifold to see if it could be used and for what costs, for what you want to do with your Formcar. If you are a do it yourself type and like to play with engines, Dietmar at Quixote Racing has been very helpful to me pointing out what will or will not help your efforts. I'm also learning "that for just a little more $ you can do it yourself" :lol: Best of luck in your restoration project!