Continuing AD Restoration

csingletary01

Continuing AD Restoration

Post by csingletary01 »

Does anyone in Oklahoma City area have a King Pin Reamer?
Dietmar
Site Admin

Re: Continuing AD Restoration

Post by Dietmar »

check your PM's

Dietmar
http://www.quixoteracing.com
csingletary01

Re: Continuing AD Restoration, Front Sway Bar

Post by csingletary01 »

I pulled the internals today from the front end and made a discovery I have never seen before. The sway bar was made from 3/4" square tubing. Has anyone ever encounted a bar like this before. I have made sway bars over the years for various cars out of round stock and round tubing. It seems to me that square tube would not flex in the torsion application of a sway bar. Just thought I would seek some opinions.
NotMoss

Post by NotMoss »

Interestingly, I pulled one that was square out of a FormCar that I was trying to restore. Actually, the ends were square bar stock and the center section (about 18" or so) was turned into a (kind of) round section. Looked like it might have even been done with a grinding wheel...certainly not a lathe. I guess it was lip service to the torsion concept. Kept it as a souvenir and it makes a darn handy pry bar and leverage enhancer.
Ted FV 07 (Retired)
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

I think a square bar would work just fine. However, the center section of the beam where the sway bar goes in would have to be removed. Which I assume it was? The sway bar has to transfer its force from wheel to wheel with no attachment in the center.
Mark_Silverberg

Post by Mark_Silverberg »

The shape of the bar does not make a difference. A square .75" bar will be stiffer than a round .75" bar because of the greater amount of material further away from the center of the bar - but a round bar slightly larger that .75 can be just as stiff as a .75" square - but it will weigh less. Unfotunately it also would not fit in the beam.

Jim is correct - the center spacer will need to be removed from the beam or else the sway bar will as a very stiff spring pack.

If, in fact, you felt you needed a sway bay slightly stiffer that the 0.75" round you could take a piece of steel bar and machine it so it is round at the center point but closer to square at the ends. the increase is roll stiffness would be relatively small but measurable.
Mark Silverberg
Zink C4
Lynx B
csingletary01

Post by csingletary01 »

I think you are right Jim, except this bar was tubing with the final 1 1/2" solid just kinda welded on. I glass beaded it and one of the ends was cracked on 3 sides. Look like we need a new bar. What is a good size to start with on this AD?
csingletary01

Post by csingletary01 »

The Preparation for the CVAR School/Race Feb 25-27 is going very well. This community of FV we are in is amazing. I have been comunicating with Ajax on this forum for a while and talked on phone a few times. Roger came over yesterday and we met for the first time, and low and behold he spend the day helping me with this final assembly process. Like I say what a great community of racers we participate in. When I figure out how to post pics I will show how this tired old racer is being brought back to life.
csingletary01

It Lives

Post by csingletary01 »

Ran it up and down the street Saturday. It steers, stops, and so far no leaks. Reinstalled body and finished up most of the details on Sunday. Body is still in the patina as when I started. Will restore body after this weekends CVAR School/Race at Texas World Speedway. I am going to see Bill Griffin at Bigger Hammer Racing Wed. for final alignment and chassis adjustments. Thanks to everyone here (especially Roger (Ajax) and Jim Shrings that has helped me with advice and tech questions. If I knew how to post pictures here I would do so.
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Chuck,
You can't "post" pictures to this forum. You have to upload them somewhere else (like Flicker or one of the other free picture sites - or just any other website) and then post LINKS to them here ... Like this
[ external image ]
If you RIGHT CLICK on that image, and select 'VIEW IMAGE INFO', you'll see that the url of the picture is http://www.wedgeracing.com/2011/bullet_ ... 11_t17.JPG. You take that part and put it between the 'Img' headers shown at the top of the message editor window.

Steve, FV80
BTW - congrats on getting the car running - but if it's not leaking, it can't be a REAL VEE :mrgreen:
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
brian

Post by brian »

So tell me Steve, is that your F duct on the tail section? :lol:
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

brian wrote:So tell me Steve, is that your F duct on the tail section? :lol:
You better believe it is :-). That sucker works SO GOOD that the rear wing becomes COMPLETELY INVISIBLE to the naked eye :mrgreen:
Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
csingletary01

Re: Leaks

Post by csingletary01 »

It has transformed to a "Real Vee" overnight as there are now a few oil spots under. So the rebuild must be complete.
csingletary01

Completed 1st CVAR School/Race

Post by csingletary01 »

Just returned from TWS. Completed the school and races with no failures or breakage. Thanks to everybody that helped and offered advice.