Setting the engine height

fastg

Setting the engine height

Post by fastg »

Work is progressing well and it time to make the rear engine mounting cradle/frame. I need to know how high to set the engine. I am planning on installing the engine/trans at a level angle. I watched the Andy Goodall Youtube video and he recommends that the center of the drive shaft should be 230mm above the bottom of the car. But he is building is a non vintage car running slicks, and tire size changes the number. So can anyone give me a good number to use on a Vintage Vee, is there a minimum ride height I could not find anything in the Monoposto regs,

Thanks

Graham
Restoring a vintage Vee in Chicago.
FV80
Site Admin

Re: Setting the engine height

Post by FV80 »

Graham,
There has never been a minimum ride height "rule" - however the rear suspension geometry pretty much DEFINES the height of the transaxle. If you mount it and the engine LEVEL, then all you have to do is assemble the trans - put your desired tires on it, set it level at ride height (depends on the exact type of shock suspension you have) and measure to the input shaft.

That said, the way *I* do it is to make the frame low enough to protect the extended sump from contact with curbs. That takes about a 3" high frame rail with the bottom of the rail about 1/2 inch below the bottom of the extended sump. Build (or buy) your trans/engine cradle and it should fit just about exactly on top of that size frame rail for the trannie mount. This fixes the back of the car. From there you have to figure out how to interface with the front of the car and what ride height you intend to use there.
YMMV,
Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
fastg

Post by fastg »

Thanks for the reply Steve. I have good sump protection, check out the picture. There must be a base axle height people use when building frames?

Graham

[ external image ]
fastg

Post by fastg »

Well we are not having much success with this approach, so lets try a differnt angle. Can anyone running a Vintage Vee measure the hight of the tires. If I know the average tire height I can set the engine to have 0 camber at full suspension travel with the smallest tire.

Graham
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

Graham:

Even your latest approach will will give you different results.

Give me a call- will be here until 5 Pac time

Dietmar
619 561 7774
QuixoteRacing.com