Need help identifiying this Vee

Trevor

Need help identifiying this Vee

Post by Trevor »

I am a newbee, and could use some help. I just picked this Vee up and the guy I got if from wasn't sure what model or year it was. He thought it is an Autodynamics but couldn't tell for sure. The research I have done also points to an Autodynamics (curved dash hoop, bent cross bar above the transmission). Any ideas? Is there any place I should be looking for a serial number?

My goal is to get in to Vintage Vee racing and hopefully this will qualify. I am sure I have a lot of work ahead of me. It looks like the last person that had it used it off-road-do you like the big tires? They also managed to run in to something and break the nose cone.

I can post some more pictures if needed. Thanks in advance for any help.
Trevor

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]
Matt King

Re: Need help identifiying this Vee

Post by Matt King »

No idea on the chassis, but it looks like a cool little car. The transaxle is a split case, so that's very early. It appears to be in decent shape too, at least what is there.
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Good eye. I didn't even notice that the transaxle was a split case. It also came with an engine that is out of the chassis. I was able to look up the serial number and found out it was a '62.
BobShedd

Post by BobShedd »

Trevor, I think you are going in the right direction - I would guess it is an early Autodynamics that has had some modifications thru it's long life. The roll hoop is wrong for the early AD cars but it could have been changed. The shift linkage has been changed. Do you have the damaged nose and the tail?? The curved dash and the bar over the trans sure look right, the rear shock mounts are not.
For vintage racing it is important to be in touch with the folks you plan on running with - there are some variations in rules as you move around the country. What part of the country are you in ??
Good luck, Bob Shedd
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

I think you are right about the frame, the roll hoop looks different than the rest of the chassis, and the rear shock mounts look hacked on there. As far as the body, unfortunately I am missing the fiberglass for the tail and the nose. That is going to be the toughest part to fix. I am either going to have to hone my fiberglass skills, or find someone with molds I can borrow.
I live in the Seattle area-so I would be racing with SOVREN. I have been to several races and all of the Vee racers that I have talked to have been really helpful. I haven't been to a race since I got the car. They still have a couple races left this season, and I plan on going. Hopefully someone has a car like mine so I can compare. I also need to see if anyone is getting rid of some old tires. I need to get these huge off-road tires off of my car. \
Thanks - Trevor
Veefan

Post by Veefan »

I found these photos when I was researching my autodynamics, I had a 67, yours looks like an earlier model. Not sure whos car it is, but he did an amazing job restoring it!!!!

These should help a little, click on the link to the photos. Any vintage guys know this car... ???

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24267254@N ... 087076285/

[ external image ]
hfracing53

Post by hfracing53 »

Trevor, Have you had any luck finding any serial numbers on your car ? I found the numbers on my early Autodynamics car on the far left side of the curved dash bar. Stamped into the top of the bar. Most of the time, stamped numbers are usually covered over by layers of paint . Good Luck . Scotty
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Scotty
I finally got around to looking on the dash bar for a serial number-No luck. I'll keep scraping around on the frame to see if I come across something. There is about 5 layers of paint on the frame, so it could be buried.
Also-do you happen to have any pictures of your car without the bodywork on it? I have been trying to find a picture of an early Autodynamics frame to compare against mine, but all of the cars that I have found have the body work on them.
Thanks - Trevor
NotMoss

Post by NotMoss »

Trevor...
Check for a private message regarding early AD photos.
TED
Ted FV 07 (Retired)
hfracing53

Post by hfracing53 »

Trevor , I messed up last year and deleted the before pics of my car . Let me know what all you want pics of ? I can walk over ,threw the snow ,to the barn and pull the body off . Your car looks like an early Autodynamics to me . I noticed that your rear trailing arms are shorter then mine . the front of mine bolt up to the mount almost even with the firewall. You can reach me at http://www.hagerfarm@peoplepc.com if you like . Give me a shout . I will try and help out . Later , Scotty