fire system question - VSCDA

paulb42

fire system question - VSCDA

Post by paulb42 »

I am trying to get the remaining prep done to my vee in hopes to run with the VSCDA at Road America in September. I have been reading through the VSCDA and Monoposto rules and am unclear as to the requirements for on-board fire systems. Currently I have a 2lb fire extinguisher located on the floor under my legs. Is it a requirement with the VSCDA to have a plumbed system? Also, do they make a 2lb plumbed system, I have only found 5lb fire systems. My car (McNamara) originally came with a 2 lb bottle, but I have been unable to find a small bottle to use as a replacement in the stock location.

Here's what the VSCDA rules state:
On board fire extinguishers are mandatory and must be securely fastened inside the cockpit area. The extinguisher must be Halon 1301 or 1211, or dry chemical 1-10-A-BC type, minimum 2 pound, with a charge indicator. A 2 or 3 point Halon or AFFF system is highly recommended. An "E" emergency label must be on the outside of the vehicle to indicate the location of the activation device. _Monoposto Racing rules require a minimum 2 pound fire system to be installed in Groups 4 & 7)
SR Racing

Re: fire system question - VSCDA

Post by SR Racing »

I thought you required an equivilent 5 lb system. If so you can use the ESS or Halon systems.

http://sracing.com/Store/Safety/firebottles.htm

But some vintage groups may allow something else.

Jim
RickyBobby

Post by RickyBobby »

If you follow the SCCA rules - minimum 5lb system either Halon or the new E36 - you'll be in compliance wherever you go. One thing to contemplate - Should you find yourself in the unfortunate situation that you are in a burning car, don't sit there wishing you had those 3 extra pounds of fire retardant. The same is true for your fire suit. Get a good one. When you're on fire, it's a bad time to wish that you had spent those extra few $$ for a better suit. IMHO, always err on the side of safety. You'll never regret it.

Bob
BobShedd

Post by BobShedd »

I agree the VSCDA rule is a bit unclear - however we ( VSCDA ) have adopted the Monoposto Racing rules in total which means if your are running an open wheel car you are required to have a 5 #, on board system. I know that is not the answer you wanted but better now than at the track. If you have any other VSCDA / Vee questions drop me a PM.

Bob Shedd