Another bunch of questions from the newbe

1969zeitler

Another bunch of questions from the newbe

Post by 1969zeitler »

I am finally working on the frame of my 1969 Zeitler and I have blasted and painted it. Looks good and will post a couple photos tomorrow. Also have the engine and the trans bolted back together after a re-ring and head clean up. Just about ready to bolt it back to the frame. I am getting the brake parts together and have a few questions.

I noticed that my rear drums are flat but I see most Vintage cars are using a drum that has 5 spokes on it. What were these used on?

I have no idea what year my transaxle is and can't find a date in the usual place. When buying rear brake shoes, they are for 61-64 or 65-67. How can I tell what I need when I do not have the old shoes to use as a guide?

I think all wheel cylinders are the same from 58-66. Does anyone know for sure?

Same question for the front brakes. Kits show 58-63 and 64-66. How can I tell which I need?

Thanks again.

Roger
Orlando Fl
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

I have a VERY understanding Wife.
Dietmar
Site Admin

Re: Another bunch of questions from the newbe

Post by Dietmar »

Roger:

You have answered your own questions:

The "smoothies" that you have on the rear are the early brake drums- the later with the 5 spokes as you call them are really for the 66-67 but will work for all applications. So, your shoes are really for the 61-65 but 66 and 67 will work too ( just a bit wider).You should be MOST concerned with the adjusters. There are two styles that have been used both for the rear and the front- they are often referred to as straight or angled and when you look at the two, you will instantly know the difference. It is important to match the shoes to the adjusters ( and this will also give you an idea of the year). The same rule applies to the fronts.

Wheel cylinders- 22mm front and 19mm rears
FT: 113 611 057 B '58-64 with straight adjusters
131 611 057 65-78 with angled adjusters but either one will work as the adjusters are NOT on the cylinders but rather on the other end.

RR: 113 611 055C straight adjusters
131 611 055 (65-67) angled adjusters (again either will work)

Any of the advertisers above can help you with locating the parts.

Need more info, just call.
Hope this helps.

Dietmar
Quixote Racing
1969zeitler

Re: Another bunch of questions from the newbe

Post by 1969zeitler »

Once again... Thanks Dietmar. I know what I need now. I appreciate the help and advice. Roger :P
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

I have a VERY understanding Wife.