Physical engine size

1969zeitler

Physical engine size

Post by 1969zeitler »

I read somewhere that the 40HP engine is narrower than the 1300-1600 due to the shorter stroke. Is the block the same width and the extra width coming from longer cylinders? Reason I am asking is I am putting a 1200 together and want to use a 1600 case but use 1200 crank, rods, pistons heads etc. Will all this "fit" without adding spacers, shims etc under the cylinders? If the blocks are the same width, do I use 1200 head bolts or are they a different size (8mm vs 10mm). Seems like the bolts would be longer on the 1600 and would need so be cut down Or.. is it as simple as someone sells 1200-length bolts that fit in 1600 blocks? I am sure just about everyone uses a universal block or a dual relief 1600 block to build their 1200. How do you do it? Thanks. Roger
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

I have a VERY understanding Wife.
Dietmar
Site Admin

Re: Physical engine size

Post by Dietmar »

Roger:

The 1600 universal case is the only one available any more, so we are "stuck" with it.

The width of the 1600 is due to the stroke, as you guessed.

For our purposes, a rubber "o" ring is used around the cylinders to space them in the larger opening in the 1600 case. They are available from any of the suppliers above.
The studs, if they are 8mm, come in 2 configurations- single port or dual port. The single port style will work- they may need to be shortened (bottom) to clear the rocker shaft.

Other than those two items, everything else will be the same.
Hope this helps

Dietmar
1969zeitler

Re: Physical engine size

Post by 1969zeitler »

As Usual.... Thanks Dietmar. This is a great site for info sharing and all Newbees like me really appreciate the help! Roger
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

I have a VERY understanding Wife.