How do I tell if the ring gear is flipped

1969zeitler

How do I tell if the ring gear is flipped

Post by 1969zeitler »

I have a chance to buy a transaxle at a very good price. He says the ring gear was already flipped. If I am looking at the main shaft (where the clutch would be), which way does the shaft turn, clockwise or counterclock wise when the engine is running? Also, if I have the shift rod in neutral (I can turn the input shaft and neither wheel turns), which way do I push, pull or turn the rod to make sure I am in a forward gear? I am trying to put the trans in a forward gear and turn the shaft to see if the wheels turn forward or backward. Is there a better way to do this? He won't let me take the side cover off in case I don't buy it, he does not want to fool with it. Any ideas? Thanks. Roger
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

I have a VERY understanding Wife.
1969zeitler

Re: How do I tell if the ring gear is flipped

Post by 1969zeitler »

Well I think I figured ou how to do it. Please tell me if I am on the right track. Since the box is not posi, only one axle is going to move whether I turn the input shaft clockwise or counterclock-wise. In a stock rear the ring gear is on the right side as I am looking from the shift rod toward the back of the starter hole on the bellhousing. If I turn the input shaft and the right wheel rolls then the ring gear is on the right side in the stock location. If the left wheel rolls, the ring gear is on the left side, closest to the starter and that means it has been flipped. This assumes I have the tranmission in any of the 4 forward gears. Does this make sense?
Roger
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

Caracal99

Post by Caracal99 »

Roger,

Flip the trans onto it's back and remove the drain plug below the ring gear.
The ring gear should be on the same side as the starter for our purposes.

Paul F.
1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

Well that sure makes it a lot easier! Thanks Paul. Much appreciated! Roger
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

RIng gear is on the side with the starter so it is flipped!!! Thanks Paul. You saved me a lot of time and work! Roger
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now