Yet another Transaxle Question

1969zeitler

Yet another Transaxle Question

Post by 1969zeitler »

Is any swing axle transaxle legal as long as it has legal gearing? I.E. can i use a transaxle from a Type 1 2 or 3 as long as it is swingaxle and not IRS? Also.. I saw a 68 Type 1 that was Swingaxle but I read somewhere that only 61-67 transaxles could be used. I read in an different thread about using transporter gears sets. Were they saying you could use the whole transaxle or just put the gears in a type 1 case? HELP!!!
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

I have a VERY understanding Wife.
1969zeitler

Re: Yet another Transaxle Question

Post by 1969zeitler »

Thanks Ajax.... after reading the Monoposto rules for the ba-zillionth time, I actually saw where it says TYPE 1. I guess you can put the approved gearing in the type 1 case and it is still a type 1. Also... it clearly says 61-65 so the "any transaxle" thought gets tossed too. Just about every Vintage club used the Monoposto as a guide so if I stick to it I should be ok. Thanks again.
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

billinstuart

Post by billinstuart »

The '68 units used a longer axle/axle tube. The tranny case and internals are the same as before.
1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

Thanks for that info. Went back and meassured and it was about 2 inches wider at the end of the axle. Makes sense now.
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

From what I understand, the axle TUBE part is the same length in both cases. It is the suspension mount casting at the wheel end that is different. You can remove the cinch pin, press off that longer casting and then press back on castings from the earlier model and you're good to go. I know it can be done, 'cos I've done it, but I didn't actually MEASURE the completed package to make sure it met the rule dimensions. However, the shorter axles worked fine with it, so it MUST be pretty close :mrgreen:
Steve
(I ask again here ... why do so many people refuse to SIGN their posts?? - at least a first NAME would be nice. You know, we MIGHT actually be FRIENDS !!)
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

Thanks Steve and you are right... Names would be better than just longon id's. Roger
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now