Legal Engine quesions

1969zeitler

Legal Engine quesions

Post by 1969zeitler »

Putting all the parts together to build a Legal Vintage FV engine and as usual, I need advise.

If I use a universal case and 1200 cylinders, how much of the cylinder do I have to shave off to get the correct deck height since the 1200 block is narrower than the universal case (or any case except the 1200).

Can I drill the stock crank for 8 dowels (or is it necessary). Does this fall into the category of "fasteners" which is free for mods?

Can I use an aftermarket counter-weighted Crankshaft or is the stock 1200 only allowed?

Can I use aftermarket rods?

Thanks again.

Roger
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

I have a VERY understanding Wife.
SR Racing

Re: Legal Engine quesions

Post by SR Racing »

1969zeitler wrote: If I use a universal case and 1200 cylinders, how much of the cylinder do I have to shave off to get the correct deck height since the 1200 block is narrower than the universal case (or any case except the 1200).
You will have to measure for this. Assemble the bottom end, install the cylinders and measure the existing deck height. You will always want to take a good .050+ off the cylinders and thus .050 off the tops of the pistons. You will modify one or the other to get your deck height to .039 on the average. (error on the high side. .041 is fine.) The reason you will always want to cut the cylinders .050+ is so that you can also cut the pistons. This lightens the pistons and just as importantly brings the top ring closer to the top of the piston. (This increases the effective compression ratio.) During this process you have to make sure the top of each cylinder is the same, so that your heads will seat properly.
Can I drill the stock crank for 8 dowels (or is it necessary). Does this fall into the category of "fasteners" which is free for mods?
With <60 HP and 70lbs of torque and a 12lb flywheel, it is not needed at all. Don't bother. Just make sure there is no wobble in the dowels and you torque the gland nut properly with some red loctite.
Can I use an aftermarket counter-weighted Crankshaft or is the stock 1200 only allowed?
Stock only. (lightened per rules)
Can I use aftermarket rods?
No. Stock Only. You can use aftermarket rod bolts (ARP) (and I would recommend it. )
1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

Thanks Jim. Glad I read this before I headed out to the swap meet. I would have bought a bunch of useless stuff. I think I got it now. Pretty much stock parts but you can tweak them to a certain degree! Thanks again for the help.
Roger
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

ajax

Post by ajax »

Not all vintage vee groups follow the same rules. You should check with the vintage group you plan to run with most of the time , I'm sure they have a engine spec. Many vintage groups follow at least a modified version of the FV spec from http://www.monoposto.com/

Engines are generally the same as what is raced in SCCA today, but back dated with cooling fan and in some groups charging system needs to work.
1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

I read that several times earlier in the week and now I see 1 small but significant item I missed. In several places it clearly states TYPE 1. Where I got confused is the section that says the pistons, cylinders, heads, block and a bunch of other things could be from another manufacturer as long as they were identical to the original part. I think I got it now. Thanks.
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now