Newbee with an Oldee

1969zeitler

Newbee with an Oldee

Post by 1969zeitler »

I am new at this so I hope I don't become a pain. I bought a 1969 Zeitler basket case and I am going to put it back to original but need help. I understand you can use any engine case and I think the later 1600 dual oil cases or a new case would be better. How do you put 1200CC cylinders in a case cut for 1600 cylinders? My car has 2 front beams. One has bearings and the other has bushings but both are kingpin.. Which is legal and is either better than the other? I also have a backup transaxle but the ring gear has not been flipped. What is involved in flipping the ring gear? I can't find anything on how to do it. Where do you guys find stock or performance 1200cc engine parts? I can't find 64mm cranks or 77mm cylinders anywhere. I have a ton of other questions but these would really help me out. Thanks. Roger
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

I have a VERY understanding Wife.
jaymzz

Re: Newbee with an Oldee

Post by jaymzz »

Welcome! I can't answer any of your questions but this is a great forum for help on the vees.
1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

Thanks. Encouragement is always welcome too!!! Roger
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

Roger:

I will only answer your questions if you change your car number- that is my car number! Of course I am kidding. Looks like you have a project that you can be proud of once completed.

Hope I address everything. Most (all) of what you are looking for can be had from the people who advertise above.
Yes, use the 1600 universal cases. One uses rubber "O" rings around the cylinder , either beam is legal, and although some prefer the beam with bearings, the other can be made to work just as well provided the inner bushings are in good condition.
Usually "flipping" the ring gear is not something that most would like to tackle as there are tools that are required once the differential is "flipped". Pay the $$ to have someone do it for you.
Again, all stock parts are available. Someone (Lynn) just had an ad for 64mm stroke cranks (look under PARTS) and pistons/cylinders are also available ( and more have been ordered).
Give the people above a call and they will help you locate everything you need. Just remember some of us are on the left coast and the sun rises three hours later than in Florida.

Hope this has helped.

Dietmar
Quixote Racing
1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

Dietmar. Thanks for all that great info. I see a lot of messages thanking you for help and info. I can see why! Add another Kudos from me. A lot makes sense now. O-rings... Didn't think about that! Back in the mid 60's I built VW's. I had a buggy and one of the first Kelmark GT kitcars. Then I went to Chevy's and built a drag car called the Orange Crate that had a 327 in the front of a 65 Beetle. Did Corvettes and Camaros and built a 70 Z28 to run in SCCA Vintage. Now I am back to VW. I guess I took a long detour! I will go thru the ads at the top of the page and see what I can find.

The car ran with #62 for most of it's life. Lee Talbot and Glen Sullivan (They both still race in SCCA) from the DC/VA Region owned and rqaced it. It has been to all the great tracks...Daytona, Sebring, VIR etc. It has a very active racing history but the log books got lost along the way. Trying to recreate them from racing entry forms and race results. Not an easy thing to do! The #61 was used by the last owner in the NC Region but they cannot figure out who it was.

Again... Thanks for the help. I really do appreciate it. Roger
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

Roger:

You are welcome. Post as many questions as you want. We all had to start somewhere.

Give any of us a call when you are ready to get parts for the project.

Dietmar
1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

Will do. Thanks. Roger
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now