Early Autodynamic ?

hfracing53

Early Autodynamic ?

Post by hfracing53 »

Hello , Pretty sure i got an Autodynamics . What factory stamping numbers were used on the frames ? On the upper left side of the curved dash bar , There appears to be some numbers . Is that the correct location ? The car has an enclosed tail with 4 exhaust pipes exiting out the lower side . Sounds like enclosed tails where only used for a couple years ? The fuel tank is the long thin fiber glass tank that hangs on the outside of the right frame rails . I would appreiate a little info . Thanks , Scotty
RacerGeek

Re: Early Autodynamic ?

Post by RacerGeek »

Would help to post some pictures. If you can't, email me some at racergeek@aol.com and I'll post them for you.
Bob VanDyke
BobShedd

Post by BobShedd »

As Bob said pictures are needed. The long thin fuel tank would be right, square tube for almost all chassis tubes would be right. Need a photo of the side showing where the rear trailing arm mounts in relationship to the roll bar would help. Photo of where the front beam mounts would be nice also.
Bob Shedd
RacerGeek

Post by RacerGeek »

Bob VanDyke
BobShedd

Post by BobShedd »

No question that it is an early AutoD. Looks like a good starting point for a nice Vintage Vee. Might be a Mk 1 or Mk2 depending onthe rear arms. Drop me a note if I can help more.
Bob
NotMoss

Post by NotMoss »

I'm sure that Bob Shedd will chime in on this. The rear engine cover of the car and a lot of the detail features are an exact match for an Autodynamics that I just sold. Check the " Vees for Sale" section of the Interchange and you will see some photos of the car I sold. Bob Shedd told me it was probably a Mark I or a very early Mk 2 based on the short trailing arms and their mounting location. Hope this is helpful.
Ted FV 07 (Retired)
hfracing53

Post by hfracing53 »

Hello again , Big THANKS to Bob Vandyke for posting my pics . The ? about the trailing arm mounts . They are in line with the firewall , if that makes sence to BobShedd . What is the difference in them from MK1 to MK2 ? I will try to post a pic showing it . The plans for the car is to display it at the Museum that i work for . ( Eastern Museum of Motor Racing ) So i need to identify the Make , Model , and Year . Also need a copy of some kind of original literature describing the car . Want to redue the car period correct or close to it . The more info i receive , the better i can represent you guys and your type of car . Thanks for the help so far . Later , Scotty
RacerGeek

Post by RacerGeek »

Bob VanDyke
BobShedd

Post by BobShedd »

Scotty, Thanks for the side picture. I believe your car to be a Mk II ( Series 2 ) because of the length of the trailing arms. I have a customer with an early Auto D that the trailing arms are shorter and the mount is about 2" behind the firewall plane. The real expert is the original designer / constructor Ray Caldwell. He currently resides out west, I have his contact info some where around here. Drop me a note to sheddsales@iserv.net and I will find Ray's info. He was at the 45 Birthday party a year ago and is still interested ( and driving ).
Bob
Victoracing

Post by Victoracing »

Your photos have helped me with suspension detail. (see What make vee is this? Jan 2009 )

I'm also curious about the museum you mention. Is it the Simeon in Phila?
I'd like to see the AD when it is stripped and apart.

Thanks, Gary, South NJ . . 21 March 09
hfracing53

Post by hfracing53 »

Hello Victoracing , Glad my photos helped you with some ideas . I am going to pull the body back off sometime this week . Finish up the body mounts and paint it . I will take acouple of pics of it without the body . Give me your Email address , and i will send them to you .
The Museum i talked about ( E.M.M.R. ) is located in York Springs , Pennslyvania . About 15 miles north of Gettysburg . Later , Scotty
RacerGeek

Post by RacerGeek »

Scotty sent some more pictures.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]
Bob VanDyke
ajax

Post by ajax »

WOW, such a cool old original Vee! 4 exhaust pipes, no Z bar, tiny roll bar dia. fully enclosed rear, solid wheels! It has been off the track a long time! Too bad it has to be painted.

Best of luck, great to see it.