Vintage Vee backdating

StabnSteer

Vintage Vee backdating

Post by StabnSteer »

As I'm trying to bring my Lynx B back into vintage-legal status, I'm looking for the correct fan shroud for my 1200. Before I realized there were different versions, I bought one on eBay, but it is WAAAY too tall to fit under the bodywork. I see them with names like "36hp shroud" and "type 1 shroud" some with and without doghouse or ducts. My car currently has a tall oil cooler...the block it is attached-to doesn't appear particularly original...so perhaps it needs also to go away:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53084288@N00/419557190/

Does anyone have photos of beneath their fan shroud for a vintage 1200? Which shroud would be "correct" (I plan to run with Cornthians out of Texas, mostly).

I am also looking for the fan to attach to the generator I found languishing in the boxes I got with the car. I've yet to find a place selling the fan by itself...anyone know of a source?

--Erik in KC
Lynx B chassis
Dietmar
Site Admin

Re: Vintage Vee backdating

Post by Dietmar »

Erik:

There are a number of different versions of fan shrouds. The one you are interested in (the 1200) is slightly diferent from the 36hp in that it has a rectangular dimple or recess right in the center of the front face (plate) at the top and also at the bottom. The 36 does not have these rectangular areas and one usually has to cut out the bottom of the 36 to make it fit. There is no difference in height however. Neither have the fresh air ducts.
The doghouse (although I HAVE seen them on Vintage cars) are in my opinion illegal as they were not available in the 1200 period.

The fans- there are 2 available. Preferred model is the 16 blade fan. I have both if you are interested.

Call if you need more info.
Dietmar
619 561 7774
Caracal99

Post by Caracal99 »

Erik,

That "strange" nose mold that you have looks like a D-13 nose mold.

If you can post a ric of the other side of it, I can tell for certain!

Paul
BobShedd

Post by BobShedd »

In looking at the picture the oil cooler is a type 3 on a special mount. You need to get rid of that and go to an original VW oil cooler that mounts right to the case - then maybe the fan shroud you have will fit. Bob
StabnSteer

Post by StabnSteer »

Caracal99 wrote:Erik,
That "strange" nose mold that you have looks like a D-13 nose mold.
Paul
Actually, Paul, I"m pretty sure it is large enough that It would be in danger of swallowing a D-13 nose! :lol: It's kind-of hard to tell when it isn't next to something for scale.

I keep forgetting to bring it to events to see if anyone can ID it, or if anyone can use it.

--Erik
StabnSteer

Post by StabnSteer »

BobShedd wrote:In looking at the picture the oil cooler is a type 3 on a special mount. You need to get rid of that and go to an original VW oil cooler that mounts right to the case - then maybe the fan shroud you have will fit. Bob
Ah hah - as I suspected. Anyone have a pic of what an original one looks like? I'm new to the VW world and don't usually get near vintage cars more than twice a year since all the events are quite a hike away from me save for Hallett. Maybe you have one Dietmar?

--Erik
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

Erik:

Are you asking if I have a picture or if I carry stock coolers?

Go to http://www.thesamba.com and type in "oil cooler". Anything that does not look like yours is probably close to what you need. Stay away from rebuilds. 1200, 1300, 1500 and 1600 SINGLE PORT coolers will work.

And yes, I carry new stock coolers.

Dietmar
vintage40

Post by vintage40 »

Fred Clark at Caracal Cars has all the body parts and is the formost expert on Lynx restorations.

http://www.caracalcars.com/index.htm
butchdeer

Post by butchdeer »

SR Racing/Racecarsupply.com should have the proper shroud/fan and oil coolers in stock. Contact Jim or Butch.
See our banner top of this board.
Butch
FV since1963
ajax

Post by ajax »

Hey EriK, quite the pictures! Your old Lynx Vee looks like the previous owner had it a number of years and it went through all the "speed tricks" of the day, I loved the original style tail with the big square intake box graffed on. Straight from early 70's when guys were trying to find ways to cool the engine, if the fan belt "accidently" was thrown off.

Your oil cooler is like the one Race Car Supply sells, a combo oil filter/ oil cooler off the original cooler attachment point, that saved having to run hose off the front of the oil pump, and used after the fan could be removed.

I did the same thing, buying the wrong fan shroud, when I restored the D-13 I had a 1200 on the street when I was 16 and used to have to pull the motor ever other month or so when a valve head would pop off the stem. And I know that shroud wasn't like the 36 HP shroud, but it would not fit under the tail either? Lessons learned.

CVAR will require the original style 40HP oil cooler and not the later "dog house" type. I believe this is a good rule that prevents making too much HP as the original cooler would not get rid of the heat. A good equalizer that is not hard to police!

Good luck, hope to see ya out there soon, all the ugly Zinks gang up on me now!