New to Vintage Racing at Gingerman 5/3-5/4

DRecupido

New to Vintage Racing at Gingerman 5/3-5/4

Post by DRecupido »

Hi everyone,

I've posted a few times, asking questions about my 1962 Formcar that I purchased last year. Thanks for all the help.

I've been working on the car feverishly for the past few months trying to get it ready for the season. It last ran at the Chicago Historics at Road America in 1992. I have the car almost ready for the Spring Brake race at Gingerman on May 3-4. This is my first time racing at Gingerman and also my first time racing in a vintage vee (i have a 74' Zink Formula First that I'm running in SCCA. Does that count?). I've been running the car around my shop and is so different from the other cars I have driven. I was thinking of adding a few mice, running around an excersise wheel, to the drivetrain to help with the acceleration. ;>)

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and see if anyone in the forum is going to be up there. I'm going to be there with my wife and friend (who's racing a Club Ford in SCCA this year). If you're going be there, let me know I'd love to get some pointers.

See You There,

Don Recupido
NotMoss

Re: New to Vintage Racing at Gingerman 5/3-5/4

Post by NotMoss »

Don,
Check your Private Messages,
TED
Ted FV 07 (Retired)
Mark_Silverberg

Post by Mark_Silverberg »

Don,

There will be plenty of Fv at Gingerman and plenty of people to help. Even with prior racing experience it would still be worthwhile to enter the VSCDA driver's school on Friday May 2nd. There is a tremondous amount of track time and good coaching available. I took the school again in 2006 after a two year break from racing and it was well worth the time, effort and $
Mark Silverberg
Zink C4
Lynx B
DRecupido

Post by DRecupido »

Thanks for the advice Mark. Unfortunately, I can't make it for the school. I've heard it's a ton of track time.
Mark_Silverberg

Post by Mark_Silverberg »

You can talk to just about any of the VSCDA Formula Vee drivers and they will do all they can to help at the event. Given that is only a two day event we will be pretty busy between sessions - as each session will be pretty important - but we will try to help as much as possible.
Mark Silverberg
Zink C4
Lynx B
DRecupido

Post by DRecupido »

Pic of my car.
S6300213-3.JPG
Keith Lawrence

Post by Keith Lawrence »

Don,

Great looking car.

Can you provide more info on the seat? It looks interesting.
And did you modify the mirrors? I have those style but would like to get some more space as you did out from the body.

Your profile does not have you location, but your Formcar is eligible for the VSSCA (VSSCA.org) Pittburgh Vintage GrandPrix which is run thru the streets of a City of Pittsburgh park. It's a great event and there have been several Fromcars running the last few years. I have a 64 AutoDynamics and may not be able to run it there this year, but I'll be at the event regardless as it's fantastic - they get about 300,000 spectators at this 2 day event and most of them walk thru the paddock and ask us questions about our cars and have their kids for pictures with us. We are even asked to sign autographs some times!!!

Plus the race entry is 100% tax deductible as it benefits a non-profit charity.

You may also want to look at vrgonline.org - they run at the Glen and at the new NJ track this fall.

I try to do about 2-3 events every year with all 3 clubs (incl VSCDA) and they are all really well run. I co-chair the VRG Beaverun event of the PVGP - so you could come to Pittsburgh and run both events... you can leave trailers at BR the weeke between the races.

Go luck with the FC.

Keith Lawrence
64 AD
Pittsburgh PA
DRecupido

Post by DRecupido »

Keith,

I checked out the Pittsburg Grand Prix online. I saw a bunch of photos online and it looks like fun, but maybe a little dangerous. Are there a lot of trees close to the course or am I just being a pansy?

The seat that is installed in the car is the original Formcar seat. It was broken in several places so I re-fiberglassed and painted it. I doubt it would work in any other Formula Vee because it is so upright and wide. However, it might make a nice replica seat for a sports or production-based racer. I was thinking of using it as a mold for a spare seat over the off-season. Maybe I could make two if you are interested? Let me know if you would like a few close-ups of it.

The mirrors are standard, cheap bullet mirrors that I purchased off of E-Bay. I took them apart and made a billet aluminum bracket on the CNC at work. Basically, it's just a flat piece of aluminum with the profile of the mirror on one side. There are two bolts inside the mirror that thread into the bracket. I have a Solidworks or Autocad drawing if you would like it. You can extend the bracket as far as you need. Pegasus sells a more expensive aluminum version that can mount on a post to get it further away from the car.

Don
Keith Lawrence

Post by Keith Lawrence »

Don,

You got it right..
There is "some trees, hale bays, storm drains, light poles and animals on the course. And don't forget the 3 ft thick stone walls with the rounded top stones - looks nice at below 35 mph, you don't notice them over 50 mph. It's just like the good old days!!!

We are told to take the track at 5/10s, but some people overdo it and they usually pay the price. It's a long track but only a few good passing areas.

Check out a helmet cam lap from one of the best drivers in our vintage club here. Neat story line also and watch the interview at the end. Great sound also - 64 Formula S (Saab) with 2 stroke at about 110 db. I hope to dice with him in my FV.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmuBBxX0 ... index.html

He collects a bird in this one from a year or two ago. Watch the last 5 sec slow mo...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pue9Z6LY2OI&feature=user

I'll look into the mirror extension idea.

Keith
Pittsburgh PA