twofoot

Post by twofoot »

Last edited by twofoot on July 19th, 2011, 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twofoot

Post by twofoot »

Last edited by twofoot on July 19th, 2011, 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billinstuart

Re: Beach 5c restoration. Where to start?

Post by billinstuart »

Been a few years, but I stripped my 5C a couple times. That's an ANCIENT 40 horse case, btw. First is to get the frame straight and rebraced. You should fit, but you'll be sitting upright. The fuel tank was under the seat. Battery was in front of the beam. Beach had a fabricated pedal arrangement. The braces over the engine are VERY important for rigidity. Nitrous bottle goes..never mind.
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

Chris:

I would start by building a table(either wood or steel) so that I could clamp down the frame as you will find that any cutting of tubes will lead to the frame trying to twist and move about. I would also first find out what the rules are pertaining to roll bar requirements-front and main, before making any modifications.That way you are only welding once.

Not sure what your abilities are when it comes to engines and mechanicals, but as Bill pointed out, the case ( unless you have a rare 65 with the small hole but cam bearings) will have to be replaced - or at least have the cam bearing bore cut for cam bearings. The heads look like the round boss heads and I would guess the internals are very much stock. So, if you plan to have someone do the work for you, you can spend the time CLEANING, CLEANING,CLEANING with wirer brushes, sandpaper, sand blaster, etc, etc, etc. The trans will have to be opened as it looks like things have been sitting for a few years- maybe even outside.

Find out exactly what you have and what you need (think I only saw one shock) and start making a list- which you will be adding on to frequently. It would help if you had some pictures of an existing car. Plan for a seat and where to put the fuel cell before the roll bar is addressed.

Ask lots of questions on this site and I'm sure someone will be there to help. You have a true project in front of you.

Dietmar
Veefan

Post by Veefan »

I'd buy a copy of Schings book first, it has tons of Vee info and is a great start.
http://www.sracing.com/Store/FV_Stuff/fv_book.htm

Dietmar is right, make a list of the parts you'll need... but I'd try and include prices so you know from the start what kind of budget you are looking at to complete the car. Quick math... engine $1,500, trans rebuild/build $600, frame work $600, Carb & manifold ( didn't see any in the pic's) $150, shocks $2O0, missing body work $500, fuel cell $350, used vintage tires $400. Most of these prices are for used parts and on the low side. That's about $4,300 and I think based on the pictures, you'll need a lot more parts to complete the project. Restoring a vintage vee or for that matter any vintage car is not an easy process and the investment adds up quickly. I've started and completed many restorations on various types cars, but, I've always started with a list of needs and a budget first. I've seen so many friends start various project cars with a shell and a box of parts only to end up with a bigger box of parts and no car... that's actually how I ended up with my vintage vee project. Support the sponsors of this forum they can help you complete the project!
twofoot

Post by twofoot »

Luckily, both shocks are there, but will likely need at least a rebuild to make sure they are at 100%. I can handle much of the mechanicals, as I was "into" VDubs in the 80's and had a few Cal-look cars at the time that I built from parts. The bodywork is all there too, except for the lower panels which are fabbed from aluminum sheet. The missing rear frame pieces are buried in there somewhere. :P I guess it's time to brush up on my welding skills.

Cheers,

Chris