twofoot

Post by twofoot »

Last edited by twofoot on July 19th, 2011, 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brian

Re: Beach 5c frame

Post by brian »

It will depend on the sanctioning body. If you choose SCCA, expect a lot of changes. Roll bars, front and rear, fuel cell, fire system etc. Find your local vintage group and check out their rules. I would at least get a safer fuel tank and make sure my head is under the existing roll bar.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
Veefan

Post by Veefan »

I just finished updating an Autodynamics frame to current SCCA spec's. It took a lot of planning since I wanted to use all the Vintage body work so the car could still run vintage classes. The new frame is much safer and all the body work fits with a few modifications for the rear roll bar & supports, the front roll hoop fits totally under body.

I'm 6'1 and have tons of room compared to my modern car!

[ external image ]

[ external image ]
Grandwazoo

Post by Grandwazoo »

I own a Beach 5C. If I can help, would be glad to do so.

Please, dont try to make it current SCCA legal. Not worth the changes. It aint winning any SCCA races regardless of what you do. It's a 40 year old design for heavens sake!

Really nice car for vintage racing. May not win there either but its still low pressure fun.

I'd love to own the seat/tank just for the history. I'll buy it if you want. But, it'll have to go to race with ANY vintage race group. Our car has a sort of wedge shaped tank/cell against the firewall with a fibreglas seat mounted to a set of rails we welded to the lower tubes.

Heck, our car even still has a rear cable which is what they did before z-bars. And, in the rain, its wicked good and better than many z-bar cars.

It'll be at the FV Birthday Party if you want to look at it.

Mike Jackson
twofoot

Post by twofoot »

Last edited by twofoot on July 19th, 2011, 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grandwazoo

Post by Grandwazoo »

Our car has braces from the roll hoop about half way up. We did have to change the roll hoop itself when my wife first started racing. She was too tall and the helmet was above the roll bar. We cut it off at the top frame tubes, had another bent and welded it on.
beach side veiw.JPG
twofoot

Post by twofoot »

Is the windshield original or an add-on? I need to pick up one of those if you have a source.

Thanks

Chris
Grandwazoo

Post by Grandwazoo »

I made it from lexan. created a buck, made an oven from plywood that was big enough to hold the piece, heated it up and bent it around the buck. Lots of custom grinding and fitting later it was lightly bolted to the body.
Veefan

Post by Veefan »

When I was referring to bringing a car up to current SCCA spec's, I’m purely speaking from a safety aspect. KEEP IT VINTAGE!!! The SCCA has put many of the bar rules in effect to protect the drivers. At a minimum I would be sure the roll bar is above your helmet (the minimun safe distance is 2” below the top of the bar according to the SCCA). The rear roll bar needs some type of support. My car came with a single bar to the rear of the car. Many vintage cars still use it, but two bars forward offers more support and driver safety. The front roll hoop is mostly optional in vintage classes. But roll a Vee over in a race and you’ll have nothing between your hands on the steering wheel and the pavement... Ouch...

40 year old design??? Take Steve Oseth’s Engine, Transaxle, Zero Roll, Front beam, bolt it on to a 40 year old Beach… with him driving… do you really think he couldn’t win a regional SCCA race?
twofoot

Post by twofoot »

Last edited by twofoot on July 19th, 2011, 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dutch Vee

Post by Dutch Vee »

Hi there. Any of you guys know a Beach (roller, project, frame and everything in between) for sale? We already have one 5B and an Apal going for some 10 years now, but we need a replacement for our third car we sold recently to its first driver/owner. Other makes like Autodynamics, Zink or the early Caldwell would be fine too. Racing two cars with three drivers makes us grumpier than we thought!