Autodynamics vee? Help needed

metrocpa

Autodynamics vee? Help needed

Post by metrocpa »

I just purchased the FV below. After talking with Bob Shedd, he feels that it's an early Autodynamics - maybe 1964? However, it has a few differences from ones he's seen:

- top tubes on the rear engine compartment of the frame is not parallel to the bottom tubes (goes up towards the back)
- engine has a front mount
- frame shock mounts in rear are different

Has anyone seen a FV like this? Any comments on it's make/year?
DSC04110.JPG
DSC04098.JPG
DSC04097.JPG
metrocpa

Re: Autodynamics vee? Help needed

Post by metrocpa »

Also, if it is an early Autod - does anyone have info on obtaining a body? The home-made metal one is not the greatest looking.
Veefan

Post by Veefan »

Hi,

Check out the link below. A Grassroots Motorsports reader did a restore of a 64 Autodynamics and it looks very similar to yours. But as Bob said, and you can see in a few of the frame pics, the top rear frame is parallel to the bottom on a 64. Many of these cars have either seen a lot of race repairs or owner mods, so it's sometimes hard to place the true year of a car. I have a 67 Autodynamics and some of my frame is different from other 67' s I've seen.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/board/ ... pid=394666

They have a lot of great pics.

Good luck with the car.
killerken53

Post by killerken53 »

Good luck with the project, at least yours is all together right now. Take tons of digital photos (digital film is cheap) as you take it apart, so you know how things go back together. That swiss cheese generator is pretty cool.
Rickydel

Autodynamics vee? I don't think so

Post by Rickydel »

Some more pictures of the entire car, sans body will help with trying to identify the maker.

From what I can see, I think the car is either a home built or limited production vee.
I really don't think it is of a major manufacturer.
The rear bulkhead is very Zinkish. It just doesn't have the top engine mount, which is why the front engine mount is used.

Ricky del
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

I would agree with Ricky in that a picture with the entire frame would help.

The rear section of this car has been modified from the roll bar back. The lower section of the frame which held the rear trans mount has been removed- therefore the need for the front engine mount. Diagonal tubes on each side are also missing, and the right side upper rail has been sectioned for ease of engine removal.

Also, unrelated, the pictures on the Grassroots site is not of a 64 ( in my opinion). The body is more on the lines of a Mark 4 or 5 and the frame also has been heavily modified.

Joh Belanger is out there somewhere- I'm sure he could add some info.
Hope this helps
Dietmar
Jon R

Post by Jon R »

I don't think it's a AutoDynamics... the upper shock mounts are all wrong (straight vs curved back) and the trailing arms look more like a Beach to me. However I wouldn't absolutely rule it out. As stated before, couple of pictures of the complete frame would help lots. Also, some diameters on frame tubing would also help.

Good Luck!
metrocpa

Post by metrocpa »

Here are moro photos
DSC04107.JPG
DSC04113.JPG
metrocpa

Post by metrocpa »

DSC04121.JPG
DSC04122.JPG
DSC04161.JPG
metrocpa

Post by metrocpa »

Sorry for the bad photos, I'm still tearing it down. The round tubing in the engine area and the round tubing gussets that go under your knees when seated (although removed from the frame, but shown in the photo) remind me of an Auto-D. It doesn't seem like a home-built vee would have those details. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
ajax

Post by ajax »

I wouldn't discount the idea this is a home built vee? Looks like someone took a number of ideas from other builder of the time and incorperated into his own design. This was very common of the era, many "specials" were built by individuals before technology took over mfg. many of these American built racers took on and beat the best europe had to offer. The FV class as a low $ entry class had many savy gents who loved to tinker and build to their own designs. The famous Harvey Templeton built 2 vees that changed FV forever. Back in the early 70s I had a one off called Haley's Comet that handled so well I could run on other drivers take off tires and beat them the next day with a home built engine. Good luck with your efforts to put your find back on the track.
DanRemmers

Post by DanRemmers »

ajax wrote:Back in the early 70s I had a one off called Haley's Comet that handled so well I could run on other drivers take off tires and beat them the next day with a home built engine.
Hey, that's my car now! Of course, there's been lots of changes to the frame and body, and it's a solo car now. ( See my avatar ---> )
I didn't realize it was that good a car back in the day.

Is a one-off worth anything as a vintage car? Is it a futile effort to find original build specs and attempt to restore a car like that?
ajax

Post by ajax »

Dan, I've seen the car on the previous owners web site. and now it is a very nice looking car! I can't say that was always true back in it's SCCA days. With young family and limited time & funds I used to run nationals with the Comet in the NE. So keeping up with body work was not high on the list of things to do. The vee always handled great, not really sure why, it had a early form of 0 roll, not like a Cadwell D13, more like the Ringwrath that Templeton built. Chassie with it's multi sized square tubing was very stiff. It did 3 end for end flips at the back straight at Mid Ohio and never hurt the frame (or me) tore off 3 of 4 axles though. and then It won it's very next race a a Texas World Speedway!

I don't think anything is wrong with a one off in Vee. The only major differance between vees is the frame anyway? All suspension and engine stuff is the same. The key of course is if the original builder got it right or not? If he did then it'll be great if not its a dog! Most MFG that build vees to sell at a profit, need to make one that is of course good, but also as cheaply as possible. The one off builder doesn't have to think about that. Most body parts are easy to duplicte in fiberglass or aluminum. What else is there? The problem with the Comet for vintage is it was built in 73 -74 and had zero roll, most groups accept up to 1969 others up to 1972. I'm sure what helped the Comet in road racing is as helpfull in auto cross if not more. Good luck with it! PS I still have the original air scoop that got tore up in the big one!