How much engine is too much?

twofoot

How much engine is too much?

Post by twofoot »

Since I plan to run in vintage, I'm wondering how far I should go with the engine rebuild. I don't think I need a national level engine, but I also don't want to run a bone stock one either. What is the general consensus when it comes to engine work? I'll be running primarily in the northeast.

Thanks

Chris
clubford00

Re: How much engine is too much?

Post by clubford00 »

Heads, manifold, and carb are where you get your power. Depending on your budget, spend your Money on those 3 things.
Dean
Real Racecars, DONT have fenders !!!
ajax

Post by ajax »

In vintage racing different groups have different rules. Check out the rules with who you plan to run with. In the NE many follow the Monoposto rules for FV. Go to their web site to get the complete break down on what is or isn't allowed http://www.monoposto.com/
tppj

Post by tppj »

When the flag drops, you hit the throttle in third gear, and the axles strip the splines in the rear drums. That's too much power, but barely!
Grandwazoo

Post by Grandwazoo »

I can only assume the last post was in jest altho it didnt say so.

Many vintage race organizations take vintage FV quite seriously and any car with a clearly illegal motor will be sent home.

For most of the nation, any motor built to current FV specs will be fine. The fan and generator levels the field a good bit.

A very few vintage organizations allow significant modifications that were never part of SCCA's FV class. Check the vintage groups you with which you expect to race.
tppj

Post by tppj »

Of COURSE it's in jest! I do not condone cheating in any form or fashion. It was just a light-hearted way of saying that you can never have too much power (as long as you're legal) -we can agree on that, can't we?

Tom
Grandwazoo

Post by Grandwazoo »

absolutely agree! But, we've had to send a couple of competitors packing over the 5 years we've been running vintage FVs in our group.

One of them told us that another group had insisted that he "had to have a faster car" in order to be allowed to compete in their events. They were perfectly happy with the big motor and big cam that he returned with.
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Grandwazoo wrote:absolutely agree! But, we've had to send a couple of competitors packing over the 5 years we've been running vintage FVs in our group.

One of them told us that another group had insisted that he "had to have a faster car" in order to be allowed to compete in their events. They were perfectly happy with the big motor and big cam that he returned with.
Mike,

Can I infere from this that you want us to put the stock 1200 cylinders back on your engine? :lol:
BobShedd

Post by BobShedd »

The 1200 pistons and cylinders will be fine for Mike, but he only gets three ( g ). Bob