Zink help needed

metrocpa

Zink help needed

Post by metrocpa »

I recenty purchased this Zink and I needs some help..and parts.

It is a C-4 or a Z-8 or something else? How do you tell the difference? The engine cover shown doesn't fit fery well.
I did not get the saddle tanks, the control arms or the Z Bar. Anyone have these?
I hope to restore it over the next year or so. I know it's in sad shape at the moment.
Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Scott
Rickydel

Re: Zink help needed

Post by Rickydel »

Scott,

We've done a number of Zink restorations here in Michigan and should be able to help out with whatever you need for your Zink. Questions, parts, assembly tips, etc...

The early Zink FVs were designated Z-5. The same design, after production was taken over by Citation Engineering was designated C-4.

Send questions, and info to midels at yahoo dot com.

Please include things like target completion date, organization you plan to race with, list of parts you already know you don't have,,,,
ajax

Post by ajax »

Go talk to Butch at RaceCarSupply.com They are the top most link on this site. Butch has been involved since the earliest days and knows everything about what ever you might need to know or find on a Zink. Zinks are very popular and many folks on the site have restored these vees and continue to run these very successfully.
Rmvr53

Post by Rmvr53 »

Congratulations on your project. A Z-5/C-4 is a great car and fits most people nicely (I'm 6'4" 200#). Once set up correctly, they will be darn-near unbeatable by anything older. We have 9 Z-5's here in RMVR and without exception, top 5 finishes are the norm with the odd D-13 or "newer" technology car the only culprit spoiling the top spot. I have been driving a Z-5 for 16 years (ok I'm spoiled - its the only Vee I've ever driven) and can honestly say its the most trackable, forgiving car I've had the pleasure to drive. My youngest daughter wanted to start vintage racing but finding a good restorable Z-5 is pretty difficult anymore so we settled on a Z-12 so enjoy it!

Bill F
68 Z-5 FV
74 Z-12 FV
76 Z-12 FV
65 Z-4 CSR
69 Z-8 VSR
...it's a ZINK thing...
butchdeer

Post by butchdeer »

The tail in your picture was an aftermarket unit and made to go with a cooling scoop used for ram air cooling. This is a chage in rules the SCCA made after zink went on to a new model. If you are returning this car to vintage and restoring the vintage legal fan cooling system you may want to buy a new original style engine cover and tail available through SR Racing RaceCarSupply.com.
I am in the Chigago area and woul be able to help you with Zink questions
Butch Deer

847-596-6978
butch@ racecarsupply.com
FV since1963
DRecupido

Post by DRecupido »

I have a Zink C-4 and I'm in Crystal Lake, IL. I'm running it as a Formula First in 2008, but will be restoring it to vintage next winter. I'm looking to reproduce some vintage body panels for my car. I do have some spares that you might be interested in. I'm looking for some vintage body panels to duplicate.

I don't think I very far away from you. If you're interested in talking, e-mail me at Drecupido@hotmail.com
NotMoss

Post by NotMoss »

Check your inbox for Private Message.
Ted FV 07 (Retired)
WNYVeeRacer

Post by WNYVeeRacer »

I may be able to help out with fuel tanks -- check your private box.

( and have fun in the building & racing)