Dick Renard Racing - Fox Cars RE-3

Marcus

Dick Renard Racing - Fox Cars RE-3

Post by Marcus »

Has anyone heard of a Fox RE-3 made by Dick Renard Racing? I just bought one pretty cheap but I can't find any info on the manufacturer other than a few race entries. Thanks - Marcus
VDF1

Re: Dick Renard Racing - Fox Cars RE-3

Post by VDF1 »

That's a west coast car but it was before I got back into FV in 2002. Ask the question on the LeftCoast FV site and I'm sure someone will be able to give you more information:

http://norcalfv.proboards19.com/index.cgi?
Life atrophies if it gets too far from risk
Bob Posner

Post by Bob Posner »

These cars were built in the early eighties and few were sold. One ran in Portland and Seattle in about 1985-86 owned by a Richard Phillips who immediately ran front row times. We were quite impressed until one of our group,Clayton Sturge,stopped by and took a look at what proved to be a 1300cc motor. Never saw the Fox again.
brian

Post by brian »

Bob is right. We had about 3 in SF region and they ran with some success. If memory serves me right, and it raely does these days, none of the front runners bought them. They were a nice looking car and well built.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
VDF1

Post by VDF1 »

I just remembered a name of one of the owners: Max Crittenden drove a Fox for a few years in the early eighties. He lived in the Palo Alto, CA area and I think Dick Renard was from San Jose.
Bob Posner

Post by Bob Posner »

Max's car was a Ratfox - homebuilt. But you're right about the fox part....
VDF1

Post by VDF1 »

Bob - It seems memory did not serve me right.
ecclestone

Post by ecclestone »

I have rejoined the forum after some absence ,so it was refreshing to read a post about Dick Renard.Dick ran Renson Automotive in Campbell San Francisco Ca, and was at the forefront of Vees in at least the early 70's. I was introduced to him though a man from the original FV US FV Assoc. and visited with him when I went to the states in '77. He had his own homebuilt flow bench and Dyno. I used some of his engine parts for some years. Dick was far ahead for his time . Those who remember Frank Schulteis who wrote the Bible of Formula Vee scrutineering used Dick and his engine parts for photos for the book.Dick also ran Super Vee, was devout Christian and raced under the Christian "Young Life Racing " banner. He ran a Lola. We disscussed the Fox. whih was designed by his father,who was a cannery engineer. and he later sent me the hand made body "Bucks" here to Australia. WITH the plans to the Fox. We built one version.which raced in NSW Australia and was later sold to a Keith Boobier. It typically had a Z bar rear suspension and very inclined rear shocks. I still have the plans to the car.though when I got them photo copying wasnt as good as it is today,but they are decipherable. It had a couple of innovative ideas for the front stub axle and steering.