VIR Gold Cup video

Post by jgaither »

fonzy

Re: VIR Gold Cup video

Post by fonzy »

jgaither wrote:Enjoy. MJ wins again.

JG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhhMDibnCy0
great video , how well do you feel about running with sedans? any issues? i may consider running mine in a vintage grids in calgary
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

John,
Looks like a great (and VERY aggravating) race. I think you need to work on getting 2nd gear in that thing! (and putting a chrome horn on the front! :) ) You should probably also take that FLAG off the front - don't you realize how much that's slowing you down??!!

I think 'fonzy' must not have watched the video - else he would KNOW how you felt about running with the sedans :).
Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
fonzy

Post by fonzy »

FV80 wrote:John,
Looks like a great (and VERY aggravating) race. I think you need to work on getting 2nd gear in that thing! (and putting a chrome horn on the front! :) ) You should probably also take that FLAG off the front - don't you realize how much that's slowing you down??!!

I think 'fonzy' must not have watched the video - else he would KNOW how you felt about running with the sedans :).
Steve
i did watched the video , i understand that we was frustrated with the sedans in the turns , but i mostly meant how does feel about safety wise , can the acually see a vee behind them?
jgaither

Post by jgaither »

FV80 wrote:John,

Steve
Yea, the flag didn't help much that day. One of my buddies wrote me & told me he was making me an honoray Italian. Can't imagine why. Imagine, here I am in '74 chasing that damn Shadowfax all around SEDiv only to be doing it again in my golden years. What a hoot. There will be 12 or more of us at the combined SCCA/VDCA thing at Roebling this weekend. They have us in with all the 'sedans' too. Now that's going to be interesting. We have to get all our passing in well before the front straight or they'll just pass us back. Turn One will be most entertaining.

jg
jgaither

Post by jgaither »

[/quote] i did watched the video , i understand that we was frustrated with the sedans in the turns , but i mostly meant how does feel about safety wise , can the acually see a vee behind them?[/quote]

Depends on how far you stick the nose under their trunk when you catch them exiting onto a straight. The flag usually helps, but basically you have to pass 'em where you catch 'em. And that's in the turns. Get used to curbs and some dirt tracking. If the stewards raise cain, then tell them to enforce the blue flags!
twofoot

Post by twofoot »

Every time I see this video, I wonder how an A30 got to be the size of a Hummer... :P
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

John,
Did you BUY the Shadowfax from Michael? I would have never thought he'd sell it. But maybe, after all these years ... ???
Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
jgaither

Post by jgaither »

Steve: Oh, hell no. Mike would never sell it. I just have to chase it all the time at the vintage races. I managed to whup him last September twice at Roebling. Once by about 3 feet & the other by a car length. He was down on power. In December, back at Roebling again, I lost the motor, but before that I couldn't touch him. It's still fun to chase him though - he & Fred Clark. Fred is always tough at Roebling with good aero and a stout Noble motor. My Zink is a brick by comparison.

jg
jgaither

Post by jgaither »

Wouldn't you know it. I forgot to mount the camera this year & I won the darn thing. They did a split start and let the Vee's go first. I only crossed the line in first 2 times - when the green fell and when the checker fell. Great race with my buddy Randall Yow in the ex-Gordon Drysdale Lynx. Margin of victory was .097. About half a car length. I was chasing down Randall on the last lap & guess who we caught in the twisty bits? Yep, the world's widest Morris Minor. He seemed to be down on power this year, so we got by him reasonably quick. Decent Vee field, but the whole event was down on entries.

VIR did post the results on MyLaps: http://mylaps.com/results/newResults.jsp?id=837765

jg