Ride Height Adjuster Problems!!!

fvkartguy

Ride Height Adjuster Problems!!!

Post by fvkartguy »

I know it's not easy to get the springs through the adjuster, but I've been working on just getting the springs in for two days straight with absolutely nothing to show for it... Starting to get frustrated.
I've tried using grease to make the springs stick together, putting them in in sections, one at a time, using a rubber band, using the original middle section as a template and putting rtv to hold the springs together, etc etc etc
The middle piece looks like it might be aluminum? Is it possible that the middle part warped when I welded it in place?
To make matters worse, I took out the bolt and now it won't go back in! Further evidence of warpage?
Sooo..... what should I do now? I can run a tap through the hole.. Anyone know what threading that is?
But what about the springs? Anything else I should try before I cut the darn thing out and (carefully) weld in a new one?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
HendricksRacing Site:
www.HendricksRacing.net
sabre1

Re: Ride Height Adjuster Problems!!!

Post by sabre1 »

I share your pain on installing the springs. A solution that worked well for me was to install all the individual leaves in order but the middle one. This allowed me to get the order correct and then I installed the middle one - worked quite well. As for the other problems, if you have a tap set, you should be able to match up the threads and diameters. Some tap & die sets include a thread gage so you can find the thread with the gage first. If the screw came out relatively easily the threads are probably OK. The problem is likely to be getting everything straight as you are trying to thread into a curved surface and there are probably burrs left over from the manufacturing process that are giving you grief. My pivot piece is steel and silver in color. It should move relatively easily side to side, and in rotation; if not, then there may be other issues.

Good luck.

-Jim
Mystique Racing

Post by Mystique Racing »

I have also had this problem and it is particularly bad on the ball joint spring pack since it contains more leafs then the link pin spring pack. I have found that the aftermarket machining is a little on the tight side. I would suggest all of the things that Jim mentioned as good options. I always check the fit of the full spring pack before I weld it into the beam. I have found that it takes some de-burring and filing to make it fit properly.
Scott

Diamond Formula Cars

http://www.diamondformulacars.com
fvkartguy

Post by fvkartguy »

Thank you everyone for all the great advice.
I finally got them in and I'll be posting pictures of the FST (if I can call it that yet) soon.
Thanks again!
HendricksRacing Site:
www.HendricksRacing.net