Chassis ID?

PS122

Chassis ID?

Post by PS122 »

I picked up this chassis and the seller believed it to be a Lazer but Larry Campbell doubts that. Anyone have any ideas? It has a trailing arm suspension (unlike a Lazer), cockpit is quite narrow, and steering box mounts upside down with pitman arm facing forward (both like a Lazer).

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

More photos can be found here: http://picasaweb.google.com/11759707537 ... directlink

Joe
FV80
Site Admin

Re: Chassis ID?

Post by FV80 »

Joe,
the car (at least the BODYWORK) was obviously raced in SCCA. The name Charlie Ruehl almost rings a bell with me, but a quick internet search yields nothing.
Since the car (bodywork) was raced in SCCA, there MUST be a roll bar number and it would generally be located on the top 1 foot or so of the outside of the roll bar - stamped into the steel. Something like ... 03-1624 - the first number is the region number that performed the initial inspection for racing. You could identify the region, contact them and they might have a record of the original owner.

Past that, the rear looks like nothing I've ever seen. I can't quite see how it all worked. A reasonable possibility that the bodywork and chassis are NOT of the same parentage :-). OR that the rear was changed - possibly to a SOLO car or something. It LOOKS like there was once a connection from the rear frame to the roll hoop that was cut out - possibly in order to make a taller roll bar.

Good luck - maybe someone else will have a better idea, or know Charlie and can help out.

Steve, FV80
and THAT cockpit doesn't look "narrow" to me. You ought to see "narrow" to compare <VBG>.
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
PS122

Post by PS122 »

[quote="FV80"] It LOOKS like there was once a connection from the rear frame to the roll hoop that was cut out - possibly in order to make a taller roll bar.
Steve, FV80
[quote]

FWIW - It appears that the two bars that have been cut were once part of a single piece hoop that connected to the roll hoop... maybe cut out to ease engine removal???
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

It is one of Charlie Ruehls cars. I THINK it was a home built or combo. He lives in the Cinci area. But I don't think is driving anymore. Certainly not a Lazer. (and not really narrow as Steve says.)
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

That rear facing roll bar braces need to be re-installed to support the rear bulkhead correctly.

Brian
PS122

Post by PS122 »

Update:

I got in touch with Charlie Ruehl and he was the last one to drive the car. I had a nice conversation with him and he filled me in on some of the cars history:

- Chassis is a Vector GB1 built by Greg Bruns circa 1989.
- Charlie purchased the car from Greg in 1990 and raced it until 1996.
- Rear roll hoop was cut but originally attached to the main hoop.
- Charlie replaced the chassis with a homebuilt when the SCCA mandated a larger roll hoop diameter.

If anyone knows more about Vector FVs I'd love to hear it. I'm particularly interested in rear suspension details.

Joe Swartz
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Terry Abbott now owns the Vector franchise and he frequents this board. You can search for him and his posts and get more info. His sons, Brandon and Andrew race the cars.

Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
Racecarguy1968

Post by Racecarguy1968 »

I'm in a simular situation, I have a FV that has a chassis number of 30-119, Oklahoma region, but I cant find the original chassis number. I have been told its a Autodynamics 1968 FV
anyone who can tell me any facts about a Autodynamics FV I would be greatly appriciative
Thanks
Sean
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

Sean:
Check your messages.

Dietmar