Post by RacerGeek »

The Kellison belonging to John Fuchs

[ external image ]

[ external image ]
Bob VanDyke
DanRemmers

Re: Kellison

Post by DanRemmers »

Is that the steering box offset to the left?
kps

Post by kps »

The steering is unusual with a long tie rod connecting both spindles and a very long pitman arm with a tie rod to the right side. I thought it would be a problem but it was fine. This is the original design. Why I don't know. Some cars that I have seen have been converted to center box location.
tppj

Post by tppj »

The steering box is indeed the original design. I think Jim Kellison did that strictly for cosmetic reasons. The car is handsome. My dad bought a Kellison in the winter/spring of 1969. The kit was sort of a pain to get together, mostly because it was tricky to get the engine in. This car appears to have the original dimensions-i.e a very long snout. It was determined, after the cars had been racing for two or three years, that they were too long, and therefore illigal. Kellison owners had to modify the body to shorten the nose. We had sold ours by then, but I remember seeing it modified, and it did not look as stately as it had originally. They were pretty fast cars. There were at least three in the central division:two in Minneapolis (where we are from), and one in milwaukee (sponsored by a VW dealer-Concours Motors? not sure of the name) Ours was International Orange, and the other two were dark blue.

The fastest Kellison in the country belonged to Gary Enoch on the west coast. He was a national contender and I'm quite certain he went to the run-offs at least once.

Tom
dd46637

Post by dd46637 »

My dad had one of these in the early 70's. White with a red stripe down the center. He used to run BHF and RA every year.
brian

Post by brian »

Beautiful car. They were made right here in the Sacramento area in LIncoln Ca. They did dune buggies and all sorts of stuff. Just prior to his death the original owner did the molds and body on my car the Anduril. Almost 80 and still slinging glass.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.