Post by FM4SOLO »

Disassembly in progress:

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

Lots of work to do: clean, sand, paint frame, rebuild transmission, build new engine, fab new nose, paint body, etc...
Last edited by FM4SOLO on January 24th, 2008, 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charles
FM4SOLO

Re: '72 Lynx Solo Vee off season rebuild

Post by FM4SOLO »

Last edited by FM4SOLO on January 24th, 2008, 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charles
DanRemmers

Post by DanRemmers »

Is it easier to see the gauges on the floor as opposed to the standard dash position?
FM4SOLO

Post by FM4SOLO »

DanRemmers wrote:Is it easier to see the gauges on the floor as opposed to the standard dash position?
I don't like them there, that is where they were mounted when I bought the car. I am removing them, putting in an oil warning light and a cylinder head temperature gage, moving the oil pressure and maybe the oil temp gage to the back of the firewall where I can see them from above looking down, I only look at them occasionally anyway.
Charles
twofoot

Post by twofoot »

Have you removed any frame tubes? It looks like as it stands there is little torsional strength to it.

I guess it's safe enough for solo, but I sure wouldn't run it on a track with other cars. There is little driver protection in case of an accident.
FM4SOLO

Post by FM4SOLO »

This is a Solo only car, and I agree, I would never think of putting this thing on a track with other cars. I have not removed any structure from the car, but it has had a few owners before I got it.
Charles
FM4SOLO

Post by FM4SOLO »

Frame cleaned and sanded, pan cleaned, sanded and reattached, painted (first coat). Should begin reassembly this weekend.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]
Charles
twofoot

Post by twofoot »

Hi Charles. How long did it take you to sand the entire frame? What paint did you end up using on it?

Was it too expensive to have the frame media blasted?

Thanks, nice work so far!

Chris
FM4SOLO

Post by FM4SOLO »

I used a simple electric orbital sander, a pneumatic angle die grinder with sanding disks and hand sanded the hard to reach spots. I didn't even look into media blasting, I really wanted to do this myself. It took 6 - 8 hours to sand, including cutting off some unused brackets with an electric angle grinder. It took an hour to clean up the mess in the garage before I could even think about painting. I used paint thinner and brake cleaner to get the grease and oil off, compressed air, and tack rags to get as much dust and debris off as possible.

The paint is a Rustoleum rattle can Automotive Grey Primer and John Deere Blitz Black enamel using an HVLP Spray gun, a touchup spray gun and a small portable air compressor. The Black was left over from a friends project, and I am very pleased with the results. I put a coat of Pickup Truck Bed Liner on the bottom for protection. I have some updated pictures I'll be posting with the re-assembly in progress.
Charles
sccafoolishrat

Post by sccafoolishrat »

Any pics how it ended up?
Chuck
FM4SOLO

Post by FM4SOLO »

I've been on the road for work a good bit. I'll try to post some soon.
Charles
FM4SOLO

Post by FM4SOLO »

Raw FTD, 2nd in PAX, no updates, still built to the 2007 rules. Lots of work to be done on the Body, need to work on getting more front ground clearance. The new 3rd/4th gears are awsome (1.48 third, 1.04 fourth.)

That's not smoke, it's dust, this is the first run group at a new site, the surface is very dirty but smooth.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

I'll try to get some pictures up with the body removed.
Charles
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Don't think you need more ground CLEARANCE - what you need is a higher spring rate. Possibly add some coilovers to your front shocks? (I THINK they're now legal in Solo2?). You might also (or instead) go to an external front sway bar and install a second spring pack - if you don't already have 2. You might already have one or both, but that's a LOT of DIVE under braking... Just a suggestion or 2 from a former 'solo'er' that hasn't solo'ed in many a year :-).
Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
FM4SOLO

Post by FM4SOLO »

Thanks for the advice, but I am trying to do this on a very limited budget, without purchasing too much. The top picture is under full throttle, the middle is about neutral, the bottom is full braking. It is "diving" about an inch under hard braking, but that is enough to put the nose on the pavement. If there is a bump in the braking zone, it hits the frame (actually the pan mounting bolt heads). I turns in really well, so I'd like to raise the frame (lower the beam) and not mess with the spring rate. I haven't taken the spring pack out, so I don't know how many leaves it currently has, but it hs one spring pack (bottom), and one antiroll bar (top).
Charles