Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation
BLS

Re: 2017 Runoffs

Post by BLS »

2nd session complete

results here: https://dk1xgl0d43mu1.cloudfront.net/us ... 1506443871

Varacins still on pole, Brain Farnham is 2nd. I bet Mark (his dad) is doing a rain dance now...
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation
Matt

Post by Matt »

Mark
What have you been feeding him?
What ever it is, keep doing it.
Matt
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Curious to know what gearbox is the preferred one. I'm guessing 26short, but not sure whether there might be a place between turns where one might run out of revs. Looking at the trap speeds, seems shortbox for sure?
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
BLS

Post by BLS »

I can't imagine a long box, seems maybe the 26 is better than the 22 3rd?

You would know as well as anyone :)
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation
BLS

Post by BLS »

Q3, getting interesting:

Varacins still on pole with a new Qtime of 1:56.077

Following right behind are Chris Jennerjahn at 1:56.232

Then Andrew Whitson at 1:56.431

The top 5 times were all set today in Q3
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation
BLS

Post by BLS »

Alright, missed today, but congrats to Brian Farnham on his 2nd place starting position at the runoffs - quite an achievement.

Congratulations to M. Varacins for another runoffs pole position

3. Chris Jennerjahn
4. Andrew Whitson
5. Denis Andrade

Looks like a really good race shaping up with some different names in the front mix.
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation
BLS

Post by BLS »

Congratulations to FV King, Michael Varacins on National Championship #6

2nd Place Whitson gave it a heck of try, seemingly had a problem in the latter part of the race that slowed him down a bit

3rd place, on the podium, Brian Farnham, great race and effort for Brian and dad Mark.

Hard to believe any of those 1200 pound, worn out engine, bicycle tired cars were able to finish...
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Yes ... great race. A shame there was no video of the last lap 'confrontation' between Brian and Rick. Brian referenced it slightly in his post race interview. The video showed Rick stuck in the gravel after the race. I assume it happened somewhere in the esses, but the video was focused on watching MV take the checker at the time.
Congrats to all that participated. A shame that several cars (like FIVE?) got caught up in the first turn skirmish when C Jennerjahn spun. Wonder if he was tapped from behind? The video evidence MIGHT be there, but we'll have to wait till the complete video is made available whenever SCCA gets around to it. Hopefully, it'll be up some time this week on the SCCA/Runoffs page.

Also, they never showed for sure the owner of the errant wheel/tire combination that was wandering around on the track. I'm thinking it was most likely Adam Jennerjahn, who seemed to be stranded to the left before coming out onto the oval .. not sure which section of the oval he was on though... nor exactly WHERE the wandering wheel was on the track. In this case, I think Dorsey was probably CORRECT .. the drum BROKE .. sending the wheel assembly off on its own.
Steve
BLS

Post by BLS »

I figured it was a broken drum as well, maybe from earlier contact. The drum was clearly still attached to the wheel.

Would that be the only time the announcers got something correct? :)
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

BLS wrote:....

Would that be the only time the announcers got something correct? :)
With them having to "think on their feet", I guess we can give them SOME credit for other responses. Just because they missed a couple, we shouldn't condemn the whole show :mrgreen: .
I've sat in front of the microphone before and, believe me, it just SAPS EVERYTHING out of your brain that you need to remember ...
Steve, FV80
BLS

Post by BLS »

I suppose it's not easy. I haven't done that of course.

It does seem they could have a cheat sheet on each class to at least get the basic specs right. 1200 pound cars? Worn out motors? They were only off about 50% on the weight, and I suspect every motor out there in the top 20 or so was built for this one race, loose rings and all. :)
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation
CitationFV21

Post by CitationFV21 »

I with due respect to the announcers, I will be glad to fly out on my dime, and work for no compensation next year; to be the class representative in the booth (If I am not racing).

ChrisZ
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Sounds like a great idea, Chris. Maybe you could start practicing by watching the SCCA video of the race (when it becomes available) and come up with what you might say .. or how to STOP Dorsey from talking and let you do it instead :lol:. He did say that he drove one ONCE - I didn't know that before. He also said it was almost impossible to drive. I can imagine that someone used to driving a high HP car (with great brakes), might have just a bit of difficulty racing a vee.
Hmmmm... COLOR COMMENTATOR .... would look good on your resume, no? :P
Steve, FV80
CitationFV21

Post by CitationFV21 »

Steve,

I helped do color commentary on the radio when the local stations covered Lime Rock for IMSA. - already in my resume. :wink:

Even the best will make mistakes because they cannot read the mind of the drivers and or what is going on mechanically with a car.

Either way it is best to error on the side of positive. For example - the engines are set up with loose tolerances in order to maximize horsepower as opposed to street engines which run tighter tolorances for longevity" not "they run worn out engines"......

My biggest problem would be not kicking Dorsey (who I know through my days at Skip Barber) out the door and just doing the entire broadcast! The class representative should answer questions asked, not lead the production....

Chris
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Great, Chris. I suggest you email Deanna Flanigan at SCCA and make your offer to her. Include your 'radio resume' :mrgreen: . Let us know what she has to say. Of course, if you happen to know Heyward Wagner, he would be a good contact as well.

Steve, FV80
hardingfv32

Post by hardingfv32 »

Why does it matter what was said during the broadcast? Was anyone really listening?

Dorsey has been around SCCA for a long time. His knowledge of the class is an accurate measurement of what the general road racing population cares to know about Formula Vee. It is time to accept that we are really not a very important segment of the road race community.

Brian
BLS

Post by BLS »

"Why does it matter what was said during the broadcast? "

It should matter to the SCCA that the broadcast be professional, not amateur hour. I make the assumption they make many mistakes in other classes as well.
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation