Formula Vee 55th Anniversary in 2018

FV80
Site Admin

Formula Vee 55th Anniversary in 2018

Post by FV80 »

A few of us had a conference call last night to try to determine whether or not we could put this event together or not. We decided that we would have to find a venue and date first before we could proceed. Corvette Museum, Gateway St. Louis, Nelson Ledges, and Heartland Park were put out as possible candidates that would be affordable and maybe have a date available in late March, April or May. We were trying to think of a location more centrally located ... or more Northerly, than Roebling, but still affordable. We simply cannot afford to get any of the 'iconic' tracks and none have dates anyway.

Anyone that has worthy thoughts can reply to this thread. Also anyone that would like to volunteer to help make this happen.. particularly if you have been previously involved in putting on an event. This needs to be open to all Vintage as well as SCCA members.

The next option is to SKIP 2018 and go for a 60th in 2023 (WOW.. that's after 2020!).
Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
FV90

Re: Formula Vee 55th Anniversary in 2018

Post by FV90 »

I raced in FV at the only SCCA race at NCM. Very nice facility but heard it was a expensive track to rent. The grand course was quite a number of corner stations to maintain (over 18 ish or more ?), that race used the bowl area which was interesting to drive but I just don't think it is necessary to race. The infield gators are brutal and I have a few bent wheels from it.
The surrounding area (next big exit south) can support with numerous motels and places to eat. I have head they have reduced the paddock area to add a kart area so some investigation is needed to make sure.
Again NCM is a great track just a matter of funds to be able to rent it would be the biggest hurdle.
Grandwazoo

Post by Grandwazoo »

Anyone still subscribed to this thread? I hope so!

VDCA has contracted with Roebling Road Raceway for the 3 day weekend of Sep 7-9, 2018 for the FV 55th birthday party race.
We are just now starting with detail plans but we will have race groups for current FVs and Vintage FVs running separately.
The Brundage cup race for current FVs will be on Sunday afternoon.
Obviously both SCCA and vintage licenses will be honored.

I will get a website up with more info soon but am willing to answer any questions on line as well.

You can post here or write to me directly at VDCA@earthlink.net

Mike Jackson VDCA Race Director and vintage FV racer
Last edited by Grandwazoo on January 17th, 2018, 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BLS

Post by BLS »

"Anyone still subscribed to this thread?"

Absolutely.

What is the location?
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation
Grandwazoo

Post by Grandwazoo »

Jeez, I'm an idiot! Spent time composing a note and didnt say...

The FV 55th anniv Birthday Party Race weekend will be at Roebling Road Raceway outside Savannah, GA on the 3 day weekend of Sept 7-9, 2018.

It is normally a nice time of year there in the South and the city of Savannah has huge history and is worthy of another day or two just as a tourist.

Mike Jackson
BLS

Post by BLS »

Thanks for the update.
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation
MDRacing

Formula Vee 55

Post by MDRacing »

55th art sm.jpg
Several posts on the various racing forums have asked about what is happening in the way of an FV55 event. The folks in Jacksonville have recently announced their event at Roebling in the fall. Our local vintage organization, CVAR, has changed their FV Feature Race from August at Hallett, which can be brutal, to April at Hallett which is a prime time for racing in the mid-continent. With the help of a half-dozen like-minded vee racers, we have put together what we hope will be an interesting version of the FV 55th Anniversary to take advantage of this opportunity.

The date is April 13-15, 2018 at Hallett Motor Racing Circuit, about forty miles west of Tulsa, Oklahoma. Hallett has a friendly and welcoming staff, encourages overnight camping and has available garages and hook-ups. Hallett is a one point eight mile old-school track kept in excellent condition in a vee-friendly layout that includes four up/down segments that provides over eighty feet of elevation change for a lap that takes just a bit over ninety seconds. The FV Feature Race is an annual CVAR event where the Group Three Vees get an extra thirty-minute race on Saturday afternoon followed by a podium presentation, special trophies and liquid refreshment. We have developed quite an array of sponsorship from our friends in the FV community to share with entrants this year. This race will also be part of the Victory Lane national series.

Let me say up front that this FV55 event is taking place within a regular CVAR Vintage Racing weekend with FV being one of the six scheduled race groups. CVAR is a member of Vintage Motorsports Council (VMC) and our Group Three Vees are basically Monoposto-legal cars. CVAR does also accept VMC member entries in Group Three of other vintage based vees that are presented with a vintage preparation and spirit in an FV1 class. Unfortunately after SVRA’s experiment at Indy we can not accept entries for this event of current vees like Vortechs or Protoforms or Firsts.

The weekend will go like this; Friday is a test day with alternating test day groups in 15-minute sessions. Saturday has a qualifying session for each of the six race groups followed by two qualifying sprint races for the six groups. The day ends with the 30-minute FV Feature for FV and FV1 cars. Sunday has a brief multi-group warm-up, the last qualifying race for each group and the CVAR series points race for each group. Vees will have over an hour and a half of scheduled on-track race time in five separate races plus testing and qualifying. My goal is to have fifty-five vees on the grid for FV55 at Hallett, hope to see you there.

The CVAR web site is http://www.corinthianvintagerace.com/
The Hallett web site is http://www.hallettracing.net/

Mike Rogers
CVAR Group Three Rep
aqualls

Post by aqualls »

Content deleted.
Last edited by aqualls on February 6th, 2018, 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aqualls

Post by aqualls »

Dear all, there is also a FV 55th happening through CVAR:

CVAR EVENT : April 13-15, 2018

http://www.corinthianvintagerace.com/ (go to 2018 Schedule)
MDRacing

Post by MDRacing »

Final artwork
Final artwork
I don't see how to edit my previous post so here is the new artwork for the CVAR event at Hallett. Thanks to all the sponsors who are helping us make this possible.
Grandwazoo

Brundage Cup race is Sept 9, 2018 at RRR

Post by Grandwazoo »

As many of you know the Brundage Cup is a trophy established by the family that started FV on to what it is today and has been for 55 years now. Since the 20th anniv of the formation of the class there has been a race for currently legal FVs every five years. I guess I'm a newcomer since this will only be my 5th Birthday Party event!

Just last night I spoke with Jan Brundage, son of the founder. Jan has authorized the event in Sept, 2018 to hold the Brundage Cup race. We will have the cup and the Nardi which was the prototype that led to the Formcar also on display.

To learn more about the event please visit http://www.formulavee55.com
And, use the link on that webpage to subscribe. I promise we will not bury you in e-mails but will use it only to pass along additional information as it is available.

Mike Jackson
BLS

Post by BLS »

Thanks for the update Mike.
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation