Mosport Vee Challenge Cup Race Info

gdavis

Mosport Vee Challenge Cup Race Info

Post by gdavis »

The second stop of the 2014 Formula Vee Challenge Cup is taking place at Canadian Tire Motorsports Park - also more commonly referred to as Mosport, July 26/27. This is a world famous and world class venue. It was the site of the Canadian Grand Prix for many years and is considered to be one of the most challenging race courses ever devised. The list of legendary drivers who have competed there is too long to even consider listing here.
Things to know about this event:
1.) There is a free Saturday evening cookout planned at F-1200 President Harry O’Neal’s home in Oshawa (about 20 min. from the track) and all U.S. drivers and “crew” are invited to attend.
2). The F-1200 group is requesting two things: That all U.S. drivers would run their tire/wheel combo and old-style, pre-monster manifolds. Most people have the older manifolds laying around, so hopefully this won't be an impediment. Please contact me if you are planning on coming, but don’t have access to tires and I will try to help. If you really don’t want to/can’t run the Canadian tire set up that would be ok, but they would really prefer that we run their tires for this event.
3.) All SCCA licenses will be accepted.
4). On line Registration is at: http://casc.motorsportsreg.com . The registrars name is Anne and her e-mail is: raceregistrar@casc.on.ca Also, there is a test day on Friday for anyone interested. More info can be found at the CTMP web site.
5).We will be running with the F-1200 group and no other classes will be in our group. The schedule for Saturday is; practice, qualifying and an afternoon race. Sunday will have a short morning hardship session and then a morning race and an afternoon race.
6). You will need a passport to get into Canada. According to Vee drivers I have spoken with who have experience crossing the border with a car and trailer, there really isn’t much hassle anymore. Please keep in mind that this is all second-hand information though.
7). Don’t forget that by running the Canadian tires any points scored are multiplied by 50%.
This is your chance in 2014 to experience the challenge of this legendary track racing with a large field of Vees, no other groups and a big bump in your points. Make plans now to attend!
brian

Re: Mosport Vee Challenge Cup Race Info

Post by brian »

I find the manifold issue a bit ironic. Apparently, you haven't noticed that US manifolds have been extensively modified for decades and represent a very small horsepower advantage. The recent stink about manifolds dealt more less with one supplier and many manifolds made by others, were grandfathered in. I think to find a marginally modified manifold which you refer to as "pre monster", you'll have to go back to the 1980's. Maybe the spec manifold wasn't such a bad idea after all.

Good luck on your event, watched the TUTOR series from Mosport, last night and I really want to run that track some day.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
gdavis

Re: Mosport Vee Challenge Cup Race Info

Post by gdavis »

Brian,
Thanks for your good wishes for our Formula Vee Challenge Cup Series event at Mosport. Hope you get a chance to run there someday.
Greg D.