Formula Vee is invited to the FF 45th Speedfest at Barber

FV80
Site Admin

Formula Vee is invited to the FF 45th Speedfest at Barber

Post by FV80 »

For any that might be interested in running this spectacular track, FV has been added as part of an ALL OPEN WHEEL weekend for the Formula F 45th Anniversary at Barber Motorsports Park just east of Birmingham (Leeds, AL). This event is Aug. 9-10, 2014.

There are 5 groups - FF, [Club FF, Vintage FF (running in same group], F5/F6 (in same group), FV and Spec RaceAtom (look it up :shock: ) [ http://www.arielatom.com/ ]. There is no test day, but there will be 'track touring' available for all participants before the first REAL session to familiarize yourself with the turns.

There is also what is probably the most terrific motorcycle museum you've ever seen on the property. Hopes are that a significant discount for admission will be available to participants.

More info and registration can be found at
http://msreg.com/FF45th-BMP.

Come join in the fun and good racing.

Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
Matt

Re: Formula Vee is invited to the FF 45th Speedfest at Barber

Post by Matt »

Steve

When I go to MotorSports Reg and look at the entered it only lists 13 cars total.

Is this correct?

I have not signed up yet.

Matt
FV61
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Matt,
I'm afraid it IS correct. The weekend is still three weeks+ away, so we are hoping that it will start to pick up soon. Historically, the majority of registrations occur in the last 2 weeks before an event - as much as we would WISH it to be earlier than that. For comparison, the Summit Point Majors is not too far ahead of that count (same number of vees) for the prior weekend.

I always think it's better to SIGN UP EARLY .. so people will know you're at least planning to be there.
Steve, FV80
Matt

Post by Matt »

Thanks Steve

Yes, I know about the human penchant for procrastination.
The FV 45th and 50th had considerable numbers long before the actual date.

Different subject.
It is realy a shame that Barber has the no pets policy. It is the one thing that has kept me from going to Barber in the past.

Matt
FV61
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Basically MOST Tracks have a NO PETS policy. Pets running loose anywhere around the track is a MAJOR DANGER to the pets and the race cars. However, I have never seen owners hassled about pets that are kept INSIDE motorhomes or trailers during on track activities. I have seen quite a number of such pets at various tracks that have NO PETS policies .. I have also seem them GET LOOSE - either on a leash or not. It doesn't take much for a loose pet to cause a huge problem.

I can't say, however, that I have ever seen a pet at Barber - loose or otherwise.

The danger is REAL. A race car hitting an animal on the track has caused a number of serious accidents over the years.. mostly from wild animals .. birds, squirrels and such with an occasional dog or cat thrown in.

Steve, FV80
Matt

Post by Matt »

Steve

I beg to differ. Of all the tracks that I have run at, there are only 2 (two) that have a no pets policy. Those are Mid-Ohio and Barber.

As you said, car pet collisions are unknown to me, while I do know of car wild animal crashes. I have been at one track and was warned of a real rattle snake danger.

SCCA proclaims this to be a family sport. Our pets are part of are family.

Matt
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

AFAIK 'No pets' is not an SCCA policy as far as I know -- it's a track policy - and simply due to the DANGER of loose pets, which I understand. I also understand what you are saying .. but I also know that a LOT of pet owners have "rowdy" pets, that if they were to get loose at the track (run past someone when the door opens, leash/collar breaks or comes loose) would likely not stop until they were FAR away .. possibly on the track if that path happened to be open at that moment.

It's called RISK MANAGEMENT and, to me, seems like a logical one. A race car doing 100 MPH could easily be DESTROYED hitting a dog .. and the driver hurt badly as a result. I don't think any of us want to see that happen - for the car owner, or the pet/pet owner.

Steve, FV80
brian

Post by brian »

Another issue is that some pet owners do not clean up after their little friends and that makes for an unpleasant experience for others. I've never met a pet owner who will own up to not cleaning up after their dog, but I've had to clean my shoes many times.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.