Pro event possibilty

brian

Pro event possibilty

Post by brian »

I have had some preliminary conversations regarding a pro event possibility for vees. It would take place probably in the cen div area and have a higher entry fee It would be a completely vee group with no other classes and track time would be dependent on entry fee. In the pro world a group buys it's minutes.

How many folks would be interested in this event. Entry fees alway depend on the number of entrants so it's not possible to quote numbers at this time. If enough interest is shown I will pursue further. I have no economic interest in this project and don't intend to advance money to make this happen. There will be deposits if the group decides to go forward to cover deposits and minor advance costs.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
hughie 56

Re: Pro event possibilty

Post by hughie 56 »

I'm interested but I need more info. For me it depends on 1st which track, 2nd date 3rd 2 or 3 day event.
I would love to see a 4 weekend Pro Formula Vee series. Even if one is at Mosport.
Speedsport

Post by Speedsport »

I would definitly be interested, depending on where it / they fall on the schedule.
Gdog

Post by Gdog »

Interested !
Terry Abbott

Post by Terry Abbott »

Interested :mrgreen:
Terry Abbott
2- Vector FV's
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

I would be interested as well, but would like to know who would sanction it before committing.
Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
CenDiv20

Post by CenDiv20 »

I am in, tell me when and where?

It already seems like months of no racing since the Runoffs...
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

Have any of you guys ever raced during a pro weekend? You will not be treated with the greatest respect... on or off the track.

Brian
Terry Abbott

Post by Terry Abbott »

Brian,

YES i have for severval years, and I'm still INTERESTED !
Terry Abbott
2- Vector FV's
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

hardingfv32-1 wrote:Have any of you guys ever raced during a pro weekend? You will not be treated with the greatest respect... on or off the track.

Brian
Actually, I have raced quite a number of "Pro" events and have found it on average to be LIGHT YEARS more enjoyable than normal SCCA events. However, my experience does NOT include racing with other MAJOR organizations such as Indy Car, F1 (HA!), or NASCAR. But the "lesser" Open Wheel organizations (read... "Club Type") have an OUTSTANDING reputation with me!

Steve, FV80
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Well, there are Pro events and there are Pro events... We raced the old USAC F2000 series for a couple years and did several races with Indy Car and TransAm, etc. It was BY FAR the best we have ever been treated. Tech, Registration, general assistance, etc. was head and shoulders above any club racing we have ever done. We did Trois Rivers, Canada, Mosport Canada, Mid-O, Atlanta etc. and were treated like kings by admin, announcers, press, and fans. However, I think we are probably talking here more like the old Pro-Vee series ? In which case it's just a club race with a few bucks thrown in. Lots of fun, but just another club race.
butchdeer

Post by butchdeer »

Just looking at my shop wall and the poster from a Jan,31,1969 pro race at Daytona where VW put up $28,500.00 prise money.
Adjust that for inflation to todays money and it could make a guy unretire himself and run a FV again. :lol: :lol:
FV since1963
brian

Post by brian »

This event would be in conjunction with the Michael Rand open wheel pro race weekend held at Mid Ohio on July 4th weekend. It will be a 3 day event with two sessions each day. SCCA pro runs and insures the event. Entry fees will likely be close to existing club prices but will be dependent on car count. Currently the schedule includes 1600, 2000 and Atlantic groups.

Many details are left to be worked out but if enough folks commit to running the event further work will be done to define the race.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
D Rader

Post by D Rader »

Count me in for Mid Ohio. Hopefully other events as well. Dale Rader.
Gdog

Post by Gdog »

Great news Brian . I am looking forward to it .
Chris Elwell

Post by Chris Elwell »

I'll be in for Mid-Ohio.
alberto

Post by alberto »

Hi Brian. I am interested in the idea of a Pro Vee race, and I would definitely consider attending a Mid-Ohio event.
Matt Clark

Post by Matt Clark »

Shame this date appears to conflict with the Eastern Major race at the Glen. Might be a tough draw being so close.
~Matt Clark
RTJ-02 #81
brian

Post by brian »

Your right Matt, it does conflict with that Majors event. But there are no direct conflicts with the other areas. There will be a couple of back to backs so if folks could check their calendars and get back to the thread with an update I would appreciate it.

I figure it will take 20 cars to make this really happen and planning will start quite soon.
brian

Post by brian »

If you want to be a part of this weekend, please pm your email address to me.
brian

Post by brian »

Planning is ongoing for the upcoming Pro event at MidOhio. What we know so far is that it is a 3 day affair with two 30 minute sessions each day. The preliminary schedule shows the vees as first out each morning then first out after lunch for all 3 days. Giving us plenty of time to work on cars or watch other classes between sessions. While going on track early in the morning is a challenge, the schedule has the vees racing at 12:30 on Sunday, giving us all and early start for the tow home.

After some conversation it appears that some folks prefer a schedule like the majors weekend and will consist of a either a practice and qualifying session Friday am then a qualifying session in the pm. On Sat.am, an additional 30 minute qualifier will take place then a 30 minute race will take place on Saturday afternoon. On Sunday, we will have either a 3rd qualifier or heat race in morning then the final race in the afternoon. Like the Majors weekend, the starting position on Saturday will be based on the fastest lap during qualifying. On Sunday if a heat race is run it could be gridded either by the fastest lap in all previous sessions or the finishing order in the Saturday race. The Sunday afternoon race can be gridded either way as well.

How we organize the weekend will depend on input from the registered competitors. Very soon, an account will be opened at Motorsports Registration to provide registration and an information link for all competitors. There will be surveys sent out to determine things like trophies, and awards. Watch for an announcement on this website in the next week or so.

It has been decided in order to reduce costs for this weekend, we will NOT accept credit cards. Payment may be made at Motorsports Reg. or at the track during registration. Entry fees will be very close to $500 and every attempt will be made to keep them as low as possible. As mentioned before, this is a not for profit endeavor and will be greatly dependent on the number of entries. Track cost, some official's travel and SCCA insurance will need to be covered but no overhead or profit. As we identify costs and an idea of entries, the fee will be published. I'm quite confident that with a turnout of 20 cars we will get 3 hours of track time for a cost that will be less than a Majors weekend.
brian

Post by brian »

I forgot to mention that this event is not considered a regional/divisional or majors event and will NOT award points towards either program.
Rob Howden

Post by Rob Howden »

Brian,

Please fire me off an email to connect regarding this Pro FV race. I'd like to offer some assistance.

rhowden@howdenmediagroup.com
brian

Post by brian »

We are pleased to announce that our event is now on MSR. There is a provision to list your info as an "interested" status. There is no cost for this and it will give Steve and me a method of communication with email blasts with updates and info. Please pass this info on to your friends.
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Please click on the link below for MSR registration for this "I'm interested" event.
http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/fv- ... 200-074549

Steve, FV80