NER RAL @NHMS 10 & 11-Aug

jferreira

NER RAL @NHMS 10 & 11-Aug

Post by jferreira »

NER RAL
New England Region Racing Against Leukemia Weekend 10 & 11-Aug

Great weather and for a great cause, RAL weekend at NHMS. Our own FV competitor Bruce Rodman was Race Chairman, and a thank you to all the FV competitors who helped him with his duties. A group donation was made by Race Group 3, FV and F5 for a great cause, RAL.
We also had a new competitor, Brian Kenney who passed his driving school on Friday and entered his first event on Saturday. Brian did very well in Saturday’s qualifier and even better in Saturday’s race. We also understand that Brian’s dad will be getting his license and already has a car. That’s two new competitors added to the NER – FV group.

We also had 3 other visitors there with the purpose of getting acclimated and possible car fit and purchase of FV rides. I would also like to thank Steve and Judy Burton and Gregor Tarjan for spending the weekend with us. Latest word is Steve has purchased the Regan/Rigolli Citation and will be attending the Glen October school. Gregor, we hope you will also be joining our FV family.
I understand that the site built by Mark Filip and his marketing efforts were one the reasons these people got interested in the NER FV class.

http://nefv.org/North_East_Formula_Vee/Welcome.html

Paul Fafford was there to help out, but minus his FV ride as it still is waiting for a new motor. We hope he will have one for the September final. Peter Cheney was also there Saturday to lend a helping hand.

Saturday AM Qualifier
Question for this qualifier was anyone going to be able to keep up with Nick’s quick times? Both Craig and Tyler have been dipping into the low 17’s and getting close.

Nick Galuardi 1:16:38
Tyler Reynolds 1:18:35
Bruce Rodman 1:18.85
John Ferreira 1:21.46
Robert Zatz 1:21.52
Mark Filip 1:21.62
Craig Swinehart 1:22.26
Thomas Pape 1:22.60
Brian Kenny 1:25.70

On lap 3, course was black flagged due to an incident in turn #2. Craig’s Yellow 03 had a disagreement with the tire wall and the tire wall won. The car suffered damage to the front beam and rear transaxle. Unfortunately this put the car on the trailer for the weekend. Craig has a sore foot but says he is okay.
Just as the black flag came out, I lost power and coasted into the pits. We first thought ignition, but thanks to Yoda FV (Jon Van De Car), ‘fuel you not have’, it turned out to be a bad fuel pump.
While the track crew was clearing the incident in turn 2, they had the FV’s and F5 sit on the front straight. This turned out to be not so good as Bob Zatz’s and Mark Filip's tires became out of round and this affected them for Race #1.

Saturday Afternoon Race #1
Nick Galuardi 1:16:70
Bruce Rodman 1:18.38
Mark Filip 1:20.65
John Ferreira 1:20.67
Thomas Pape 1:21.73
Brian Kenny 1:22.70
Tyler Reynolds 1:17:31

Robert Zatz DNF
Craig Swinehart DNS

Race started and as mentioned, Bob Zatz discovered his tires had become Flintstone Square specials and he had to drop out on lap 1. Mark's car shook for the first 5 laps and then got better. Nick, Bruce and Tyler started gapping the field, while myself, Mark and Thomas had a good battle of our own.
Tyler was clicking off some good laps with 2nd fairly secure when about lap 10 a valve cover gasket decided to become unglued. Tyler unfortunately lost his motor and was done for the weekend. In the process of all this happening and just before the full track oil flag came out, Mark and I, who were having a great battle, had a “pucker moment.

http://youtu.be/-hV53twH0pE

Mark had just gotten by me when he “discovered” the oil in Turn 11. Great recovery by Mark as he recovered to pass me with ½ lap to go.
Excellent job by Brian as not only did he finish his first race, he ran some very quick times.

Sunday AM Race #2
Bruce Rodman 1:18.81
Robert Zatz 1:19.95
Mark Filip 1:19.40
John Ferreira 1:20.55
Thomas Pape 1:21.25
Nick Galuardi 1:16:89

On lap 9 while leading, Nick lost power and dropped out. Later on it was discovered to be a loose coil wire. In the meantime, Bob starting last, picked off Thomas, then me, then Mark and caught up to Bruce. Bruce and Bob then had a GREAT battle for 2nd place. At least THEY though it was for 2nd place. It was actually for 1st place. Bruce took his checkered flag victory lap inside the paddock.

Sunday PM Race #3
Nick Galuardi 1:16:90
Bruce Rodman 1:17.57
Mark Filip 1:20.83
Thomas Pape 1:22.18
John Ferreira 1:21.38
Robert Zatz DNF

Bruce got a great start, with Nick catching him by the end of lap #1. Bruce bested his best time for the weekend by over 1 second a lap trying to stay ahead of Nick. But in the end it was the older (car) prevailing.
Mark and I had a great battle going until my quick release safety belt let go. A thank you to the pit steward who fastened me up and allowed me to continue. Thomas drove a steady race but was fighting an ill handling car all weekend. Plans are to fix that before the September race.

Great weekend and looking forward to the September 50th Vee fest!!!
http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59487
John