June Sprints

Bill Johnson 42

June Sprints

Post by Bill Johnson 42 »

Congrats to Michael Varacins for another June Sprints win. Charles McCormick was second and Ron Whitston finished third.

McCormack led the first lap but Michael went by him on the front straight past start finish on the start of lap 2. Varicins pulled a gap out of 5, extended it the rest of the lap and from there ran uncontested. McCormack broke away from the rest and ran by himself the rest of the way. After running in the pack the first few laps I ended up in third by myself for most of the race. Not sure how far back they were, but Jennerjahn and Whitston were way little in my mirrors. Unfortunately I just couldn't generate the lap times on my own to keep the gap and with 2 laps to go Whitston and Jennerjahn working together caught and passed me. On the last lap Jennerjahn and I went by Whitston heading into Canada corner. It was Jennerjahn, myself and then Whitston heading to 14 - thought I was in the perfect position for the run up the hill to the finish. Unfortunately I screwed up and went wide at 14. I wasn't about to lift and ended up in the grass on the way up the hill. My mistake probably set the perfect gap for Whitson as he drafted by Jennerjahn to take third by the nose of the car at the finish. I ended up 5th.

Overall a good weekend at the Sprints. Learned a little more about drafting, not a single session went as planned but did have a fun race.