RunOffs notes

Rickydel

RunOffs notes

Post by Rickydel »

Just changed the subject line to reflect the thread direction.

Congratulations to Mike. (and Al)
Nice try Roger.
Congrats to Gary on his first runoffs podium.

Hmmmmm. No Vortechs on the podium..........Just sayin'. (An observation, not a comment on the Vortechs' performance abilities, which are well documented.)

Just watched it last night. Anyone know how, why Rick's car broke?
Glad no one got hurt in a couple of scary moments there.
Hope everyone towed home safely.
Last edited by Rickydel on September 27th, 2012, 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
brian

Re: Eerily quiet,,,,

Post by brian »

Chris Jennerjahn, the builder of the Vortec and new lap record holder, was 4th. Charlie McCormick was 5th and Jeff Loughead was 7th. After spinning in the turn 1 shamazzle, Dennis Andrade came all the way back to 11th in his Vortec. All in all, 4 in the top 11 for one brand isn't too shabby.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Actually, Dennis spun at T5 when he hit the brakes (RIGHT in front of me). All on his own. No idea why - guess one wheel grabbed really badly. He made it through the T1 stuff, as did I. Andrew Abbot spun in the T1 scuffle. Donnie Isley and Dave Scaler were practically on top of each other for 50 yards or so (see Apex speed pix links from Pepper Bowe https://picasaweb.google.com/1155365906 ... 5s3Bjqq8aw). Several other cars had to take to the grass or elsewhere to avoid. Not sure how many had real damage except for Donnie, who lost his nose. Continued (and finished) with a parachute on the front of his car.

It appears from the video that Rick's rear suspension just COLLAPSED when he hit the brakes at T6. A miracle no one collected him as he was just out of sight at the braking/turn in point initially.

I would like to congratulate the top 4 as well as the next 6. We had TWO "championship" races going on. The top 4 were in a world of their own and the 2nd pack had a championship caliber race as if the front pack wasn't there. We had 6 cars ALL over each other and AFAIK, no one touched any other except for occasional (accidental?) nose to tail contact. Special congrats to Andy Pastore and Brandon Abbott who were "newcomers" to the pointy end and handled themselves masterfully. It's pretty tough to run THAT hard for THAT long and not make a mistake - at least it is for ME. I saw no significant mistakes (and some great moves) from either/both of them.

Not sure what happened to Brandon - he stopped just before Canada apparently on the last lap. He wasn't there when we went by on the last lap, but he WAS there on our cool off lap. Didn't appear to have any damage although I did not get a really good look .. and neither did the video.

A SUPER race at the front by that top 4! At least 2 of the 4 were under last year's lap record .. "WOW!" is about all I can say!
Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
AJP

Post by AJP »

That was very intense racing! I guess it's exciting when the straights are just as intense as the turns.
Unfortunately I did slightly touch you Steve into Turn 1 on lap 11(RF wheel to your LR) and then went for a little ride through the grass and gravel. So at least one of us made a mistake:) I was just a hair late to hit the brakes.
Hope I didn't upset your car too much.
It was really fun to be mixing it up with you guys.
Congrats to Mike, Roger and Gary.
Thanks,
Andy P.
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Andy - if you 'touched' me, I don't remember it. I DO remember you being on the outside of me going into Canada on the last lap .. but I was a bit preoccupied by Ron Whitston going down the INSIDE of me at the same time. I was really hoping we wouldn't have contact. I don't think we did, but I was busy "saving my life" at the time. I lost about 2 secs myself, but kept it on the track. I see you finished a couple seconds behind me and intact. Glad we all got through that.

I'm still pretty pumped that I was able to complete the race in a decent position considering all the probs we had during the week and all of the "opportunities to crash" during the race.
I got this pic from Allan Adderley - designer of the Silver Bullet bodywork - Gary Blanarik on the podium. Nice work, Gary (first Runoffs podium.. maybe not the last... does he look happy??) ... and the other guys too :mrgreen: .
[ external image ]

Mike Varacins - Roger Siebenauler (left) and Gary on the right.

Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
MarkP-2

Post by MarkP-2 »

Steve:

Rick Ruckman got caught up in the T1 fracas and bent his beam back 1-2" causing his lap times to skyrocket
since he was dragging around an out of alignment front tire that became worn down to the cord. At least he finished
but not in the position he expected. Again, congrats to everyone!

Mark
hughie 56

Post by hughie 56 »

Rick drove a good race with the car he had after the accident. I was behind him and saw the bent car. I don't know he kept it under him. Toe in on the left front was about 4 inches. The left front tyre was down to the cords after the race.