Long Box or Short Box

satterley_sr

Long Box or Short Box

Post by satterley_sr »

I've heard both are used at Road America. Any opinions? Advantages/disadvantages? What kind of RPM will a short box make into 3 or Canada corner?

Dave
satterley_sr

Re: Long Box or Short Box

Post by satterley_sr »

Anyone with an opinion that has used a short box?
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

More info is needed about your program.

If you are not the most competitive driver/car combination or new to the track, then a SB is fine. You will not be drafting by anyone into Canada which is the only spot the a short box is a disadvantage.

If your engine/exhaust has a bias to the low end of the torque scale, then a long box would work.

The front runners could be seeing 6800 going into Canada with a long box depending on draft, etc.

Brian
brian

Post by brian »

Brian's notes are valid. I have found that the short box will give you more pull on the uphill sections especially going up to S/F, but could require some patience during the race.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

I think people that run shortbox, are knowingly making a decision to abuse your engine more. If you are not going to win, or run near the front, then run a LB, and increase your chances of having a healthy engine at the end. That rationale may be more applicable if running non-elite engines from builders whose engines have not been used in applications with sustained 6500+ rpm use. There is no way to predict your "pack" of fellow racers (in the actual race) and whether being faster early on the straight, or late in the straight, will result in a better finish.
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"