June Sprints

butchdeer

June Sprints

Post by butchdeer »

Anybody know about qualifying? Are any Vee's entered? No news here or on apex..
Butch
FV since1963
butchdeer

Re: June Sprints

Post by butchdeer »

Ethan Shippert (former FV driver) won the FF race at the sprints.
FV since1963
Speedsport

Post by Speedsport »

Ethan did a great job driving in the rain. Terrible race conditions and he came out on top. Kudos.

If anyone hears what happened to Rick during the Vee race I'd like to know. Him, Chris and I were having a great race when he went off in 14. The angle he went off at was strange - not sure what happened.
jhenn4716

Post by jhenn4716 »

I heard over the rescue net that his steering broke.
Jeff
Mysterian #55
Ed Womer

Post by Ed Womer »

When I dropped my engine off at Dave Carr's on Sunday afternoon he said that Rick's steering arm that was welded to the spindle broke off.
Ed
MarkP-2

Post by MarkP-2 »

Welded to the spindle? Is this something new among the top drivers?

Mark
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

Its been new ................ since the 60s.
The Lynxs had quicksteer spindles from very early on. Don't most modern FVs use modified spindles? Every car through my shop, but the Womer, have them.

Fabricated spindles usually break when steering tie rods are not set up properly ..... the rod ends bottom, and flex the steering arm. Yes, a aluminum steering tie rod with a 3/8" rod end can rip a 3/8" thick steel bar from a spindle. Make sure your steering tie rods are free through the entire range of ride height travel (including when jacked up). I've seen fabricated pitman arms break for the same reason. Usually the fabricator/welder gets blamed.
I don't know that this was the case in this instance. I believe the car had been crashed at its last event.
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
MarkP-2

Post by MarkP-2 »

Greg,

Thanks for the explanation! I have welded spindles now that you described them, but for some reason couldn't
figure out what he meant at the time. Thanks again!

Mark