50th Vee Birthday Race

Mystique Racing

50th Vee Birthday Race

Post by Mystique Racing »

I recently heard a rumor that the 50th has been moved to Road America in 2013. Does anyone know if this is true?
Scott

Diamond Formula Cars

http://www.diamondformulacars.com
FV80
Site Admin

Re: 50th Vee Birthday Race

Post by FV80 »

Fred Clark would need to confirm it, but I think it is just someone's imagination running wild. Fred told me a few weeks ago that the first weekend in April (5-7) is SET for the 50th FV anniversary event and it's at Roebling Road (near Savannah, GA).

If rumors persist, someone (me?) could ask Fred directly, but I'm pretty confident of the basic plans. RA was NEVER considered during any previous discussions.

I think that the rumors are confused as 2013 is the *SCCA RUNOFFS* 50th anniversary as well. THAT is the reason that the Runoffs were "somewhat arbitrarily" extended to last for 5 years instead of the original and normal THREE year contracts .. to get SCCA through that 50th anniversary without having to deal with another track change for the Runoffs.

Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
Mystique Racing

Post by Mystique Racing »

Steve,

Thanks for the update.
Scott

Diamond Formula Cars

http://www.diamondformulacars.com
fvracer27

Post by fvracer27 »

FV80 wrote:Fred Clark would need to confirm it, but I think it is just someone's imagination running wild. Fred told me a few weeks ago that the first weekend in April (5-7) is SET for the 50th FV anniversary event and it's at Roebling Road (near Savannah, GA).

If rumors persist, someone (me?) could ask Fred directly, but I'm pretty confident of the basic plans. RA was NEVER considered during any previous discussions.

I think that the rumors are confused as 2013 is the *SCCA RUNOFFS* 50th anniversary as well. THAT is the reason that the Runoffs were "somewhat arbitrarily" extended to last for 5 years instead of the original and normal THREE year contracts .. to get SCCA through that 50th anniversary without having to deal with another track change for the Runoffs.

Steve, FV80
Why was Roebling Road choosen?
Mark Filip
NER #27
Womer EV-3
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Because it is available, inexpensive and quite close to where Fred Clark (organizer) lives. The track is OWNED by Buccaneer Region SCCA, based in Jacksonville, FL - about an hour and a half away.

It's also a very SAFE track - almost no CONCRETE and a fair amount of runoff area at each turn. The 45th anniversary event was held there and the response was very good.

Steve, FV80
fvracer27

Post by fvracer27 »

I would think that to have a 50th in 1 corner of the country is not the most desirable location and wont happen for many west coast people.
Mark Filip
NER #27
Womer EV-3
BLS

Post by BLS »

As far as I know, any region can organize their own race. I believe this has happened in the past.
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation
tiagosantos

Post by tiagosantos »

It's definitely far for a lot of the West Coast guys (especially those of us in Canada!) but I think a lot of us are already planning to attend anyway. Whether I'll race or spectate is a different matter, but I'll do my best to be there!
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

fvracer27 wrote:I would think that to have a 50th in 1 corner of the country is not the most desirable location and wont happen for many west coast people.
I might also add that FV was FOUNDED in this 'corner of the country' :mrgreen:
Yes, it's potentially a LONG tow for many - but inexpensive options are few and far between. Perhaps someone could persuade the Circuit of the Americas to entertain a 'gratis' (or nearly so) testing of their track for us 'lowly of speed' purveyors ... ??
Steve, FV80
RacerGeek

Post by RacerGeek »

I believe there was a fairly large number of drivers from the west coast at Roebling for the 45th birthday party in 2008. Seemed like more from there than from the northeast.
Bob VanDyke
fv195

Post by fv195 »

Fred told me first weekend in Apr. 2013 when I saw him at Roebling this past Apr.